• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wig Wag landing light flasher

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
Does anyone know if it's possible for those of us with landing lights on both wings to get a Certified wigwag flasher? So the lights alternate - for better visibility when landing in a congested area?
I had one once on an RV-7A I owned and it was pretty neat.
I know they are easy to get for the experimental super cubs - but how about certified ones? Where might I get one of these?
Thanks
cliff in Maine

Thanks - I just purchased one - they are $295 and they ARE STC'd for PA-18s. I remember the one I purchased for my experimental RV-7A was only $65 - I continue to wonder why I have a certified super cub instead of an experimental one.
I think these wig wag flashers are awesome when in a congested area - they really increase visibility.
Cliff in Maine

Cliff i started a thread about your wings a week or so ago. I got a look at them and they are looking great.Will look forward to a report on how you like them.Heard you are building a towere at your field ?. As i told you last year,i would like to put up a little guest cabin that looks like a control tower at my strip.Not as big as yours is going to be.Mine would be just a little lounge hangout area with a kitchenette and bedroom.Would be nice to have a deck around the top and hangout watching the deer and eagles.Looking forward to your plane mods and checking out your strip.If you are going to dans on a weekend let us know maybe sue and i can run into ya.Dan and the boys are rebuilding my cub,so i will finally be doing some serious cubbing instead of flying the 185.Had'nt been flying the cub much the last year or so as i was worrying about her condition.Shw was much sounder underneath than we thought.

As an Air Traffic Controller I love the wig wags. If I am working at a VFR Tower somewhere without radarm the wig wags make you stand out at night like a sore thumb. Theyre great for picking up inbounds. I dont work at a VFR tower anymore but Id still encourage everyone to get em!

Clint

There's a company in Oregon called RMD Aircraft Lighting they mostly make wing tips with landing lights in them and nothing yet for a super cub "BUT" they have ask me to use my cub as a testbed for a LED lighting system also they are working on a STC for a pulse light they already have in stock for experimental it is a small unit no bigger then a cigarette lighter housing and the dial will allow you to pulse the lights at 22-44 or 120 pulses per sec. or continues. as of now the unit costs around $195 and uses your existing lights, it will alternate pulse your landing and taxi light. I'll post more about this as the system gets closer to STC. here's there sight. www.rmdaircraft.com

Dennis

About the pulser mentioned ( MaxPulse )

This pulser is called the MaxPulse. It is FULLY STC'd per the distributor(maxpulsemaxdim.com) The Pulser can handle up to 700 watts, it all depends on your system voltage - 12 to 35 volts, a total of 20 Amps. And this thing is small, no outboard heat sinks or other packages. My friend, who is an avionics tech in Wasilla, Alaska has used these to replace damaged Pulselites. Smaller and easier to work with. And you ought to see the Dimmer they have - MaxDim. No more $1400 Cessna dimmers. Replace yours for less than $200. And STC'd also. Do a google search for MaxPulse and you will find the vendors. maxpulsemaxdim.com is one vendor, mainly they are distributors, but call them and see if they won't help you out.

MaxPulse and MaxDim Available

Hey guys in Alaska, I just picked up another MaxDim for another plane at Northern Lights Avionics located on Merrill Field. They have both the MaxDim and MaxPulse units. These units are both STC'd for many aircraft, the AML is extensive.

I guess with both lights on the left wing, you could have those two flash and it would be better than nothing eh? :angel:

I have seen the pulsing system on one wing lights and its visibility is pretty good. RMD just got there STC and it's super easy to install www.rmdaircraft.com

Dennis

Hi Cliff,

Why are you getting rid of your pulse lights? I am going to be recovering my cub soon and am considering adding a wing light to the other side, so I can have the two outboard lights pulse. I would be interested in your opinion and your set up.

Take care, Rob

Rob
too many wires to hook up - no big deal if rebuilding a cub - but I just don't have time.
cliff in maine

OVEREASYGUY said:
Rob
too many wires to hook up - no big deal if rebuilding a cub - but I just don't have time.
cliff in maine

Thats an interesting thing from a guy who spends a lot of $$ on new wings to make his plane safer.

(just playing devils advocate)

wig wag comparison landing light pulsers maxpulse

Ok, ok, time to look at a comparison of some popular pulsers out there on the market.. I found this on the maxpulsemaxdim website.

http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/comparisons.htm

Now we can make informed decisions. Even though this is on a product website, I can find no errors or misrepresentations in the data.
Oh, did I say that I love my MaxPulse?? :D

MaxDim Duo

Just noticed that the MaxDim Duo is available. 2 of the dimmers in one package. Goodbye to stacked rheostats and Cessna dimmers.

Don't know why, but I noticed that the Pulsar wig-wag lights blurb in the Spruce catalog sez "dual alternating pulsing lights should never be side by side. Instead dual lights need to be located one in each wing. Two lights side by side can be pulsed together,or pulse ust one light and leave the other light off." Maybe this is something applicable only to the Pulsar system.

Eric

hotrod150 said:
Don't know why, but I noticed that the Pulsar wig-wag lights blurb in the Spruce catalog sez "dual alternating pulsing lights should never be side by side. Instead dual lights need to be located one in each wing. Two lights side by side can be pulsed together,or pulse ust one light and leave the other light off." Maybe this is something applicable only to the Pulsar system.

Eric

Do you think that there is an electrical interference problem if they are side by side? I don't know. My guess is that they mean that they are more effective from a visibility point of view when there is one on each wing tip.

pulsing landing lights

Alternate pulsing with adjacent lights may look like one light at a distance being on solid. Usually the adjacent lights have a different aim, one for taxi and one for landing. Not to sure how this plays out in the air at a distance. The MaxPulse does allow for left, right, both on, both at 44. Plus some other wigwag rates. There is a movie here of just what you are talking about.
http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/movies/Movie.wmv
No electrical problems. Improves the visibility thereby safety.

Back