• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

D & E Flap/Aileron Extruded D Section

PA18project

Missoula MT
Does anyone have any experience with the D & E extruded D sections for fabricating flaps and ailerons.

My questions are:

How does one attach the ribs? I can only imagine a blind rivet.

How does one put the twist into the aileron?

they looks to be a good product but it would be great to hear from those with experience.

Thanks.

Are you talking for the piper airfoil or the ribblett? They are different. The piper is a closed d-section and the ribblet is open in the back of the d-section. The kit is very versatile to do what ever you choose. I like D&E products they are also very helpful. There wings are bomb proof a bit heavier but things can be done to eliminate some of the weight.

Good question. I was specifically asking about the extrusion for the standard clark airfoil. I dont know enough about the ribblet at this point and have a pretty good stack of piper ribs already in hand.

Have you been on my web site? It's all on there. I used SS pop rivets except where the control horn is and I used Cherrymax.

I would consider lightening them. They are a little heavy. If you cut lightening holes in the right places you could probably get a rivet squeezer in there for the ribs.

I didn't bother with washout on the aileron. Not sure if that is something to blend in with the round tips or what. I have extended square tips.

If you are interested i have a Friend that purchased several full sets of flaps and ailerons from airframes before they sold out they are just like the pipers, he is looking to sell them. pm me and i can give you his contact.

bugs66,

Thanks for the response. I have visited your website a number of times but had forgotten that you used the D & E kit for your wings. Great website! I figured it had to be blind rivets of some sort. Thanks again for the input.

Brad

I used the D extruded section for my flaps and they are just to heavy for me. Hope to build new some day

Have you been on my web site? It's all on there. I used SS pop rivets except where the control horn is and I used Cherrymax.

I would consider lightening them. They are a little heavy. If you cut lightening holes in the right places you could probably get a rivet squeezer in there for the ribs.

I didn't bother with washout on the aileron. Not sure if that is something to blend in with the round tips or what. I have extended square tips.

So, now you've been flying it for a while, any comment on the ailerons not having washout?

I suppose you've got washout in the wing???

Your wings are so very different than a factory Super Cub; it'd be interesting to hear how they compare.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I have some washout in my wing but maybe half of stock. Ernie at the old D&E told me he prefers 0 washout. I kept a little in though. I was out spinning my Cub the other day and it has completely docile behavior. I haven't tried spinning it with full aft CG yet.

Back