• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Air traffic controllers maxed out

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
Today the AP released a story about air traffic controllers. The gist of the story is that there are too few veteran controllers in certain heavy traffic locations, and that safety is at risk. The shortage is being attributed to greater than expected retirements.

Here's a link to the story: http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?post_date=2008-01-10&id=27704.

The takeaway for us: if you routinely fly in high traffic areas, or if you will be flying through the Chicago airspace on the way to New Holstein, do everything you can to make the controller's life easier.

Kase, you can probably give us the three most important things to do. I'm guessing that your list might include 1) squawk Mode C, 2) keep radio transmissions short and sweet, and 3) maintain situational awareness so you can quickly follow ATC instructions.

Eric

My sister is a supervisor at Chicago and will retire within the year. She got in when Reagan fired everybody. Has some interesting stories once in a while.

I know of 7 controllers at DFW who have submitted paperwork and are leaving April 1st. There are 9 of us in Minneapolis TRACON (me included) and at least that many in the tower who are eligible right now. Some management have been briefed if it gets to bad this summer to start curtailing services. ie. flight following, practice approaches, and class B entries.

Looks like the FAA's plan of hiring a college grad to work nights and weekend shift work... All for the starting pay of less than 30 grand didn't work out to well.

FYI by the end of next year more controllers will be able to quit the FAA than were fired in the 1981 strike.

Marty & Cabinflyer:

I knew Kase wasn't the only controller in the crowd, I just didn't know you two were his confederates. So, what can I do to make my interactions with ATC be more effective and efficient so it takes out some of the workload?

Eric

The biggest thing a VFR pilot can do for us in the radar room is turn your transponder on and squawk altitude (mode C).

Even if we're not talking to you, we know... and the pilots with TCAS know your altitude.

Steve

I don't know too much about the situation but two people that will retire soon went to UAE to check things out. $120,000 per year,first 80 tax free, and 4 weeks vacation.

Im a controller down in Texas (Tower) and got really lucky. I lucked out and got a high level facility (= good pay) which in turns makes it so I am buying my first cub this week (J3). Anywho nationwide we are in a sad state ATC speaking. Retirements left and right, very bad labor relations, slow hiring process, and a current administration that believes you are guilty first and then makes you prove that you are innocent. I got lucky and got a good facility with decent management, decent labor relations, and great pay.

Its gonna be a fun few years ahead :roll: .... everytime it gets bad though I just think that I have a beautiful little yellow girl sitting at the airport waiting for some Cub Therapy :D

Clint

The controllers at MYF watch my "six". My jumpseat is always open to them.

They occasionally make life miserable for themselves, by going to single runway operation when the wind gets over eight knots crosswind, and in the process deprive locals of a little crosswind practice - but what do I know?

CFIs are making it awful, by teaching verbatim readbacks. We often get readbacks that are so painfully correct and meaningless that it makes an old guy cringe. We ought to be teaching readbacks of runways, headings, and altitudes, and skip the ones that can be responded to with the archaic "wilco" or "looking". Around here, that would cut radio work by almost half.

I try to make clear and concise radio calls. I think about what I want to say before I say it. I leave out all the AHHH's.

My Mother's neighbor is (was - retired yesterday) a tower controller at SAN. He gave us a fine tour of the tower and the entire airport the other day, and it's obvious to me - as a listener in the tower - that concise, clear, and knowledgeable-of-the-situation comms are the key to making a busy situation work well.

I heard years ago that Chicago asked (demanded??) that all Oshkosh traffic avoid their airspace altogether. I try and stay away and route around them. And I won't go over the lake, so it's up the west side of Chicago for me.

But I really prefer going around the north end of Lake Michigan. Much prettier, better food, and no controlled airspace.

Anne.

When I fly to New Holstein during Oshkosh I follow the Lake Michigan shoreline from Michigan City, IN to Waukegan, then go direct to New Holstein. The Gary tower always lets me transition their airspace along the shore - never a problem, regardless of the traffic or my altitude.

Even during Oshkosh I've found Chicago Center happy to give me flight advisories until I'm north of the Class B airspace (well, they may not be happy to have the extra work, but you'd never know it. Always great service). It's fun to fly up the shoreline and get a good look at the Chicago skyline, especially in the early morning when the sun is lighting up the east faces of the buildings. Highly recommended.

Eric

Ann, I'll follow you up the west side of Chi town, I don't like cold water. :lol:

Tim

Like Eric, we always take the shoreline. Though I've never done it, it would be legal to transit just lightly off the beach and not talk to anyone (except Gary tower) 1900 ft or below, (as I remember) as long as you have a mode C transponder. The controllers are always very cordial but staying below their traffic is the key. And don't babble.

I dont mind working low and slow guys, ESPECIALLY cub type people. If you can stay 500-1000AGL I'll work with ya VFR all the time. Even though my MVA (min vectoring altitude) is 1,700FT; if you say "level at or below 1,000" or something like that, that works out GREAT. That way I can just give you traffic advisories and let you go on your merry way well beneath my jet traffic. I sometimes require 1 or 2 mile left or right of course side-steps, but that sure beats the heck out of ya gettin a 25 mile out of the way vector because you're at 2,500 as opposed to 1,000. (which is my typical cub range anyways, below 1,000).

Anywho keep the blue side up and green between! I get my cub (and first airplane period) in 2 weeks :D

ATCT

I would think the tower guys at Paducah would be really bored. I flew Sunday afternoon for 1 1/2 hours and only one other radio call was made. He was transitioning the AS. And I have a grass strip. So zero ldgs/takeoffs the whole time from PAH. And it was really nice weather.
I am sure it is more hectic at big airports.

Anne I thought about going up and around the lake. Can you recommend some good stops on that route?

I would be coming Port Huron direction.

Bill

Back