• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Nose ribs?

Laz

FRIEND
Girdwood, AK.
Hi all,
How necessary are the nose ribs? I am using the Univair .020-2024 full wrap leading edges (on an experimental) with Dakota type ribs. Seems like it would save a little weight and holes in the spar cap? I think I would still use a couple in the fuel tank area for support while fueling. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Laz

Piper used .020 2024T-3 leading edges on the late model SCs. I know several rag wing airplanes don't use nose ribs but their construction is a lot different also. Nose ribs are pretty light. Do you know how much weight you would save?

Thanks Steve,
probably nary a pound i would guess? I was just wondering if they were necessary with the stronger ribs? Also 90 or so small parts for 30 ribs I wouldn't have to build. But I don't want to be the first guy on the block to leave them out, unless it was common practice. I think they would be really hard to retrofit, if it didn't work!
Laz :eek:

Back