• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Smith Cub Fuselage covering request

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
Smithcub builders.

Can someone tell me where the rudder cables exit the fabric on the rear part of the fuselage. I would like to put a reinforcement in this area just need to know where. Please measure from the aft edge of the vertical stabilizer. I have the elevation just need the fore/aft position.

Thank you

Bill

Bill-

Before you cover also make sure your rear horizontal stab attach bracket is welded in the correct place, otherwise you will be running out of trim.

Tim

Bill, I made a template to locate that spot so l'll need to turn that into measurements for you I'll try to do that tonight when I get back home. I'm ready to cut mine in as well.

Bill,
Because of small variances between Cubs, don't you want to rig your plane before covering, and then make a custom template for your application? That's what I plan on doing. I am going to completely assemble and rig my plane BEFORE covering.

That's what we did. We rigged and took measurements then cut for cables. Worked OK.
Ron

If its the same as a standard Cub, I'll gladly go measure mine ? Seems to me I got the measurements from Cub Club and they were perfect when I cut the holes. I used a naugahyde teardrop then covered it with a fabric teardrop 1" bigger. Staays on better and looks cleaner !

That would suck if they were off 1/8-1/4" and rubbed the fairings. That's why each Cub should be done custom.

Well, I guess I am a little behind the power curve. Fuselage is covered, and I am not going to rip it all off. I hope that the Smithcubs are close enough that I can use someone else's measurements. I was hoping to get a couple of responses and use an average, or verify that they are all about the same. Thanks for the inputs. Dave, thanks for the offer, I'd be willing to bet that it is the same as a regular cub too.

Bill

cable

This image is from Steve Pierce's gallery. I think it'll show you the location you're looking for. I knew it was there because I needed it too. So thank him.

[/img] http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//760/medium/J3_PA11_PA18_Fuselage.jpg

Bill Rusk said:
Well, I guess I am a little behind the power curve. Fuselage is covered, and I am not going to rip it all off. I hope that the Smithcubs are close enough that I can use someone else's measurements. I was hoping to get a couple of responses and use an average, or verify that they are all about the same. Thanks for the inputs. Dave, thanks for the offer, I'd be willing to bet that it is the same as a regular cub too.

Bill

Did you check your H stab mount?

Bill...

My Smith Cub rudder cables exit the fuselage 28" forward of the rudder post.
The exit point is 3" up from the fuselage tube.

Hope this helps.
Lou

Lou and Grant

Thank you both. I measured it before covering but can't find my notes. The dog probably ate that piece of paper. (Always blame it on the dog, about 50% of the time you'll be right.)

Tim

Yes, I checked the H mount. I spoke to Steve Tubbs about this several years ago, and checked my frame according to notes from him. The later fuselages were correct from N. Smith. The problem is/was exacerbated when using the 0-360. I have no idea how the thrustline mod will affect all this. Thanks for asking.

Thanks again folks

Bill

Bill Rusk said:
Lou and Grant

Thank you both. I measured it before covering but can't find my notes. The dog probably ate that piece of paper. (Always blame it on the dog, about 50% of the time you'll be right.)

Thanks again folks

Bill

Suuuure the dog. If you have ever stopped by and met Bills dog you know this is the most obdient dog on earth!

Tim

Bill

As you know , I have a warmed over O-360 turning a 1-pa235 pawnee prop.
I have an early Smith( Daytona Cub) Cub and I suspect my jack screw is all screwed up.

When I put Mark's Thrustline on it changed everything.

Before the Thrustline I ran out of up elev trim when flying solo...even with full flaps.

Now I can leave the trim in the T/O position and fly the pattern with little, if any, need to retrim.

Before I had to keep the approach speed above 50-55 mph IAS or I needed lots of back stick even with FULL up elev trim. Now I fly at 40-42 mph IAS and don't notice the stick pressure.

Of course there are many, many additional benefits to the ThrustLine...hope you are doing it as you will have a big grin on your face on every approach!!

I'm excited for you.
Happy New Year

Lou

My rudder cables were rubbing on the INSIDE of the vertical stiffener thingies back there (PA 18A) so I think they belongs on the OUTSIDE of them. I plan to hang the rudder when I'm ready to cover, run the (new) cables & measure then.

I'm happy that my lower longerons are near perfect after all these years, just a few holes were able to be punched. Tail had already been replaced, so all's well back there. Everything above the lowers is like new.

ALMOST done scraping... a little welding & then sandblasting the clusters, sanding & time for paint.

It's gonna be a happy day when I can put my ratchet in FORWARD again!!

Bill

Your kit was the next one after mine. I did rig mine and measure before covering and my measurements match those posted by Grant. That is, 27" forward of the tail post and 3 1/2" up from the bottom

Jim

Back