• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Temp/Pressure Gauge Sticks

rrb

FRIEND
In the Cruiser, I've got the old cub style oil temperature/pressure gauge.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9435&size=big&cat=691

Recently, I've started experiencing a bit of a problem with the oil pressure guage. When I start the engine, the pressure comes up, but the needle sticks around 20 psi, I give the guage a good whack and it reads properly. Is there any maint. that I could do with my mechanic? Or do we need to send it out for repair/replacement. If repair/replacement is the solution, do you have any recommendations. I've heard Keystone Instruments in Lock Haven, any other good ones?

oil pressure/ temp gauge

Wagaero used to sell the original type pretty reasonably priced, but I haven't checked in 4 or 5 years. Electronics international has a great digital one, if you wanted to go that route. I thought the Keystone Instruments did good work, but were really slow.

I have used "Air Parts Of Lock Haven" with good results and fast return to service. (They are next door to Keystone). If you give them all call they ca give an estimate of "turnaround". 800-443-3117. Nothing wrong with Keystons' work, used them in the past also. Larry C..

the wag aero one is only calibrated for a Lycoming ( I don't know what engine that you have). There is a guy here in Ohio that restores old cars and did a great job on redoing the oil temp part of ours. As soon as I remember there name I will post it. Some one else has mentioned the name on her also.
Bill

In their latest catalog, Wag Aero says they can rebuild the mechanical part of the original Piper instrument, but they won't do any cosmetics. $200 plus shipping. Takes a month or so.

I kept waiting to hear this from Snert but it was not forthcoming.

If you just cut about an inch off of one prop blade, wouldn't that fix the gauge sticking problem? ...Anonymous

I suppose you get used to the vibration? In all seriousness thanks for the recommendations. I need to get a little research done. Not really looking forward to the idea of being grounded for nearly a month for the repair.

rrb said:
...Is there any maint. that I could do with my mechanic? Or do we need to send it out for repair/replacement...

The simple answer to the first question is that for the most part, an A&P can not perform maintenance on instruments. He can do things like paint arcs, limits and slip marks on the glass, though, among very few other things.

I've heard of mechanics being limited as to what they can and can't work on but in all my years never really read it to be fact. Where can I find such verbage that in deed would discribe these limitations regarding instrument/radio and other related installation and repairs.

Back