• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Defrost Really Necessary?

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
Do I really need to install a defrost system in the Smith Cub? Do you guys wish you had it all the time or only a couple of times a year?

It adds weight and complexity and I will do it if it makes a big difference. I will be flying in Wisconsin, Minn, and generally up North pretty regular in the winter.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

When the outside temps are really cold any moisture your body contributes to the inside of the airplane will freeze hard on the windows. The problem gets worse if your pants are wet, you're perspiring, or even from breathing hard. Work to get unstuck on skis on a cold afternoon and you'll get a quick education. If you depend on cabin heat to clear the windscreen you may be waiting until spring.

Yes, defrost is necessary if you fly in cold weather.

Stewart

I've only needed a defroster a couple times (one was getting back to the cabin in a friend's Cub in freezing mist - he had a defroster which really helped in that situation) - but in another case where it would have been nice I had enough air leaks from the door that it eventually cleared on its own and you could see around the corners or out the side at any rate.

It can be a handy feature but I guess I wouldn't bother with it given the weight and complexity penalty. Especially when you have to build it yourself :D But here in the middle of the country our winters are fairly dry and you don't have the moisture or marine layer problems they have along the coasts.

I would say YES Bill install it. If you only need it the one time in freezing mist you'll be glad you have it. I got caught in freezing mist in my Pacer at night :eek:. Zero forward visibility and on the gauges down I 94, trying for Alexander MN but called it quits at Sauk Center, botched my first landing attempt and arrived on the second. I swore that would be the last time landing on peripheral vision. I know, but I didn't dare slip cause I was getting heavy and later after landing, looked it over and realized I wouldn't have made Alex another 25 miles.

Brad

Instead of installing a ducting system for the defrost, I cut some holes in the top of the glare shield along the windshield to allow warm air from under the instrument panel to reach the windshield. Not as effective as ducted heat but simple and better than nothing.

Don

Don't even think about NOT installing defrost. It will more than pay for itself at some point.

MTV

Another option is to install an Atlee Dodge "rear seat heat kit" with an extra long hose. When you need it just pull the hose up and defrost the windshield. When you don't need it the passenger will really thank you for having heat back there.

Crash

Crash said:
Another option is to install an Atlee Dodge "rear seat heat kit" with an extra long hose. When you need it just pull the hose up and defrost the windshield. When you don't need it the passenger will really thank you for having heat back there.
Crash

As usual, Crash has hit the nail squarely. I have both the rear seat heat hose and fixed windscreen defroster. My defroster uses only 1" scat hose and works okay, but when I use the rear seat heater hose as a defrost it works much quicker and moves quite a bit more air than the dedicated defroster. At rebuild, or when building a new cub I'd probably just use the rear seat heat hose and not put in the defroster.

Either one will work, but it would be a good idea to get something to act as a defroster. Stewart is right when he says you can generate a lot of moisture by the effort involved with freeing a stuck cub - I know from experience.

A long rear seat heater hose is also pretty nice for cleaning off the side windows.

Jim

A scat hose stuck into Atlee's defroster manifold serves as a pretty effective rear seat heater. Run it right down the middle between the pilot's feet and under the seat. Then put it away.

PA-12_007.jpg

Stewart

Or if you ever think of trapping or hunting out of your cub in winter, go with the defroster, but use the 2" scat as the defroster was built for 2". You don't carry passengers and I like to keep the bait, or the fur in the back as frozen as possible. Less mess and odors on the long flight back home.
Course if you bringing your sweetie into camp, then she will really like the loong hose. :wink:

jk

Bill, put the rear seat heat in also, but don't rely on that for your defroster.
I like to fly with both hands when the chips are down and holding the rear seat heat hose will require a glove if it's any good. The weight of mine isn't even worth talking about. Here's a pic and the outlets at the top are the same.

100_1146.JPG

Brad

I used to have a 2' on the front heater and use it and the defrost to get the windscreen clean :crazyeyes:

But you only need it if you want to see when starting up in weather below about 35. And only if you get out and get yourself perspiring a bit, or get rained on, or get snow in the plane...

I used to have a piece of safety wire on the v brace to hold the scat. Free hands!

The extended tube works great, and for the rear seat. I would put it under my seat when solo to keep me warm...

And think about this, if you see one extra bump and keep from breaking one gear leg, will that pay for the weight/complexity?

Back