• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Smith Kit question...

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
I thought I was having odyssey battery problems, but upon further investigation, it is not the battery, its the ground connection. My battery is located under the rear seat. Where is a good place to get a good ground? I don't readily see a large bolt there. I hate to add a long length of cable and run the ground up to the firewall area, but for you other Smith Kit guys, where did you hook up to a ground?

Mike

The seat belt strap would work. Where is it connected? Do you have a separate braided ground strap connecting your engine to the fuselage. If not, you need it. . Factory airplanes insure a big ground from the engine to the fuse. I think the 18 parts manual calls one out.

Where to put ground strap..

Hmmm, seat belt strap?? I'll explore that. I really would hate to scuff off the powder coating on the tubing structure to get a good ground, and later discover rust where I scuffed off the coating.....

Thanks,

Mike

You can't have it both ways.....
You need bare metal for the ground strap. Protect it with something after the cable is bolted up....
DaveG

All battery connections require interval maintenance. I will weld a 3/8 lug stud for my battery ground under the floor board before cover. But on the Smith Kits that already flying I think the seat belt is the most convenient. A stainless bolt thats longer so that you can tighten first the ground lug then add your belt. Not sure where your going to be able to catch the engine ground though. Good luck

Its fixed ....

I fixed my starting problem, and it wasn't the battery after all. My ground connection stunk. I followed a suggestion to use the seat belt tab, and now it starts fine. Thanks.
I also installed a modified Champ stick in the front. Now I can get full left aileron with flaps deployed.
There is so much information on this forum, thanks loads.

Mike

Back