• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trip Planning Yakima WA to St. Louis MO

Pokette

Chesterfield, Missouri
I purchased a CubCrafters S2 to be completed at the end of December. I will be flying it home in January. Yakima Washington to St. Louis Missouri.
I would be most grateful if all the experts out there would share information about the best route that time of year and who will let me stay with them along the way!!
I have looked at three general routes:
1. North: Yakima - Coeur D' Alene - Missoula - Billings - on east
2. Mid: Yakima - Boise-Rock Springs - Western Neb Reg - on east
3. South: Yakima - Boise - Salt Lake - 4 corners - Albuquerque - east
Any and all comments, helpful hints, advice, and snide remarks are welcome. Thanks.
Diana

It's all about the weather.

Following I-84/I-80 to Cheyenne or I-90 to Rapid City is good routing if weather cooperates. Very scenic also. The south route can be nastier if moisture is pushing up off Baja.

Wear your long underwear..!!

Lucky dog! Can't wait to see it at next year's Tennessee Fall Fly-In.

John's got it right: 84 to 80, turn slightly right at Cheyenne and head straight for the Show Me State. Easy two day trip with an overnight at Laramie or Cheyenne if you get some good tailwinds. Piece o' cake.

It'll be windy in Wyoming: be sure your crosswind technique is up to snuff and don't forget good tie down rope.

Eric

I've done both the North and South route, and they're both amazing. You'll be happy with which ever way the weather lets you take.

nkh

Don't know much about your trip. I would love to get a pic of Torch II flying through the St. Louis Arch.

I have a Cubcrafters 180 Top Cub. Clay Hammond from Cubcrafters flew it out to me from Yakima. I live in Minnesota. Clay can tell you best route as he did it several times and also flies to Oshkosh for EAA Gathering. I think Clay would even fly it to you if you pay his airfare back to Yakima. December weather may be favorable for you. Have a good trip to St Louis. Where you at the Open house this fall?

I'd pay someone to deliver a new airplane with a new engine over the mountains.

Snert wrote:

"I'd pay someone to deliver a new airplane with a new engine over the mountains."

Holy Guacamole, Man!! What kind of an airplane junkie are you anyway? I'd pay someone to LET me fly a new airplane over the mountains!! :angel:

Course, I'd probably put a few "extra" hours on it due to "weather diversions". :lol:

MTV

Diana-

Congratulations on your new plane :). Like Eric said, we'll be looking for it next October at 0A9. Also, thanks for all the pictures you took at the Fall fly-In and posted. My only question is will you be able to fly and shoot at the same time? FedEx Lou is a great example of that capability.

Steve

Thanks all, I'm really looking forward to the trip.
Calvin, yes I was at the open house with my daughter Julia, did I see you there?
Steve, I will be able to take pictures and fly at the same time! Looking forward to O9A next year, you did such a fabulous job.
I don't think I can fly through the arch and take pictures at the same time, but i will go with torch and get picts of him.

Mike
I've gotten a few Good Grief's but never a Holy Guacamole. Is a H.G. better or worse than a G.G. Or, did you just finish your Charles Schultz book and start on Batman Comic books?

Snert,

Sorry, a holdover from my Latino Period..... 8) . I think Holy Guacamole is some more serious than GG, but not being of Latin descent, I'm probably not qualified to judge that....

MTV

Back