• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help with trim cables

iamcamper

Hillsboro Oregon
Hi all. With all you smart folks out there, I'm hoping I might get some informed opinions and answers about my trim cable. I have installed them as instructed, but it just doesn't look right to me. If someone would please answer:
1) Is there a minimum cable clearance recommendation, if so, what is it?
2) How much tension should the trim spring be under (i.e. how far should it be stretched out)?
Builder's manual doesn't give this info.
PB080113.JPG

PB080111.JPG

Hopefully I posted the photos correctly.
Thinking I should move pulleys to below the tubes????
Thanks much.
T

Hey thanks for fixing my photos. I was going back to edit my post and do it right, but ya beat me to it
I know on the stock cubs the pulleys are bottom, but I was assured that they had tested the cables installation and it all "works" with the pulleys on top. I also know that most of the kits they send out has the over head trim in which case this would work fine but should I leave it this way or move the pulleys???
Thanks.
T

Camper-

I want the cables to lead into the pulley as direct as possible, otherwise you will put a lot of wear on the pulley with the way the cable is going in.

Thats my thought on it. I'm sure it will "work" fine in other ways. I'm not that familiar with the smith, might want to look at some billrusk photos.

Tim

Maybe its the photo angle, but one of the cables looks like its rubbing the tube, and the other cable looks mighty close to the other tube.The trim cable looks to be rubbing each other as well. Somethings not right with the routing.

Your right, there is very little clearance between the cable and the tubes, maybe 1/16th inch, and that is giving it the Benefit of the doubt.

The two cables are rubbing only because the tab for the spring attachment is about 6-8 inches to far forward (thus tie-rapped), so the spring/pulley is setting to low . If I hold the spring up to where it should be then I have plenty of clearance there. I'll have to move that tab back, which is why I asked how far that spring should be stretched.

When I first put it together as per the construction manual, I thought that things looked a little whacked and that I should cut the pulley tabs off and tack them on the bottom of the tubes, but after talking to the kit company I was told it was fine and all is as it should be.

Opinions & advice please.
Thanks
T

Camper,
There is a just a little catch in your git a long there. 1) Are you running overhead trim or side trim? Seems I remember a post that indicated you were running a side trim. I don't think the trim pulley location you have there will accommodate a side trim system and would have to be changed. 2) If you are running overhead trim, these pulleys are correct. But, the cable runs under the pulleys, not on top. It would also appear that your double groove trim pulley is not quite right based on the angle of the cables in the photo and the close proximity to the fuse tubes. But I can't see the double groove in the photos. I have some photos I will try to PM you. Also check Cubus Maximus photo gallery on the Viking cub.

Jay

Camper,
Sent you a PM. Comparing my photos with yours, I see they are still different. Did you order yours for a side trim system? Don't know if my pix will help or not. The trim cable tension for my overhead system is 5 - 8 pounds. Hopefully we can get yours figured out.

J

Yes, i do have the side trim. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

It does seem to me that one end of the cable exits the top grove of the jack screw pulley at to extreme an angle. If I work the system I can hear and feel the cable chafing on the pulley. I'm pretty sure that cant be a good thing. Looks like if the cables/pulleys were moved below the tube that would not longer be the case.

Thinking its time to brush up on my welding skills.

T

It's important to first set up your trim jack assy per the parts manual identifying the correct washers for size and thickness and to use the proper woodruff key cut per the piper shop drawings. This will position the pulley in the correct vertical position height. Then go to adjusting cable trim. Check for correct operation -clockwise is down and vice verse.

Back