• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying Farmer Retires

I attended the Flying Farmer's last show at Bealeton and the crowds were very large. I'd say half the folks there came just to see Charlie. Some other Cubbers for sure. He used the stiff wind to land in what looked like less than 100 feet! After the show, the FAA gave him an award. I understand that he may have had run-ins with them like Bob Hoover. Also, many of Virginia Aviation Hall of Fame folks were there since Charlie is one of them. I suspect we will see Charlie in his Cub and in the air in these parts for time to come. I hope so.

Jim,

I was there too; the place was packed, and it was a who's who of pilots I have met over the last 25 years..Charlie Kulp is a great guy and now will fly his J-3 as an LSA.

To honor Charlie, some friends and I put a full page add in the October Trade-a-Plane to announce his final show - you might want to find a copy if you can.

As mentioned, the wind was strong that day...so Charlie broke the spin off after 1 turn, and then looped at about 100 feet. On calmer days, he enters the loop at 40 feet. Not bad for 82 years old. Me, I keep the dirty side down.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Back