• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New toy

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
Inspired by an earlier post here, I picked up a QStarz GPS data logger. It is a blue tooth device that works with my Anywhere Map XM WX system. It also keeps a downloadable track that you can plot on Google Earth. It is a pretty neat way to keep track of where you have been.

It was $100 -- only .1 AMU (aviation monetary unit). You can also use it to geo-tag photos taken with a digital camera. I got it to help me keep track of the aerial photos I take.

Here are some screen shots from Google Earth of one of my landing spots:

2007_10_22-21-flight_path_CTS_gravel_pit.jpg

It was pretty tight in there -- more than this image shows -- with tall trees all around. Even having walked it several times, I needed to see it from all angles and to make a couple of passes to commit. I think Mike Vivion calls it "dragging the field". I don't know if there is a better way to do it but I try to be pretty conservative. I learn something new with each new spot like this. At this one, it was how hard it is to read the grade from above. The takeoff was scarier than the landing because I couldn't see anything over the nose for the first 25 feet of the run.

Back