• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Smith Cub Weight

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
I'm still dreaming up my smith cub...

Any ideas on how tough it is to keep a Smith cub down around 1100 lbs. I am looking at a O-360 with an MT prop... everything else will be ultra light... not alot of other extras..... Thanks Corey

Cory

That's a tough question. If you go to the TCOW website to Gallery to client photos there are some completions that include weights. Don't know how accurate they are, but there are a couple under 1100. I think it is doable but you are going to have to watch every OUNCE not pounds. It is amazing how quickly the ounces can add to pounds.
Start with the kit. You need to keep away from dual doors, that will ad a couple of pounds, long range fuel will add 20 pounds, extended glass will add, widebody will add, extended wings will add, extended LE adds 4 to 5 pounds, 0-360 will add, dynafocal will add, priming the wings, etc.
Each of these things will add weight but you will have to decide if that weight is worth it for your particular mission.
Light floor boards, wood prop, basic instruments, light on the paint, watch the weight on the seats. These will help. And if you don't "really" need em, 8.5's are much lighter than 31" bushwheels.
Just some thoughts. Look for a post on my thread Building a Smith Cub in the next day or so and I'll list all I have done to try to keep mine light.

Bill

My Smith Kit...

Hmmm. My Smith Kit weighs 1143#. It has a XP-360 engine, L-21 glass, and dual doors. It is a standard body, however. Oh, it has the long wings as well, and 8:50's. I saved 15 pounds by using a Sensenich wood prop (80x48). I am using a Dynon EFIS, and Odyssey 680 battery. The Sutton exhaust saves quite a few pounds too.
It comes off the ground really quick, climbs at a crazy angle, but its no speedster. It will cruise between 105 and 120, depending on how fuel burn you can stand. The Superior XP-360 has been very reliable and powerful as well.

Mike

Back