• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

stobe question

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
I had my whelen self contained strobe repaired. It fires up but is three times as fast as it was before it quite working. Before it was a calm one pulse per second, now it is three or four times per second....like a machine gun....drives me crazy. Is their a way to slow it down or do I send it back, or let it rapid fire? teeweed

Did whelen do the repair? If so I would send it back. Or maybe call and ask if it is okay. I would not like it if it were on a plane I was flying. Especially if you get any noise from it through the radio.

The multi-strobe systems have a jumper wire on the outside of the power pak to change the pulse sequence.

Steve is there anything that you know of that changes the flash rate on a self contained whelen strobe. teeweed

When strobs wear out the fire at a longer intervel, maybe it is the way it should be now.......

From the home office...

§ 23.1401 Anticollision light system.
(a) General. The airplane must have an anticollision light system that:

(c) Flashing characteristics. The arrangement of the system, ... ..., must give an effective flash frequency of not less than 40, nor more than 100, cycles per minute....

Probably want to get that fixed....

/r,

Bill

Whelen does a "Comet Flash" - the Super D box went out, and its replacement makes them go "fl-fl-fl-fla-flash!". Easier to see in the daytime. Sure you didn't get that?

Bob I am nor sure. I just know it flashes faster that it did. I was watching it and it flashes twice and then there is a small pause and then it flashed twice really fast and then there is a pause. I think that it is under 100 flashes per minute but I will have to check. teeweed

CAR 3 (Pre FAR Part 23), which the PA-18 was certified to, doesn't really address strobes or beacons, but rather talks to flashing position lights. Cessna used position light flashers quite a bit. Back in those days only the fat cat airlines could afford beacons...

"§ 3.700 Position light system installation....

.....(e) Flasher. If employed, an approved position light flasher for a single circuit system shall be installed. The flasher shall be such that the system is energized automatically at a rate of not less than 60 nor more than 120 flashes per minute with an on-off ratio between 2.5:1 and 1:1."

Teeweed, you may be able to sell that strobe to a disco....

Later gators,

Bill

Sec. 91.209

Aircraft lights.

No person may:
(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3 statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)--
(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;
(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a night flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft--
(i) Is clearly illuminated;
(ii) Has lighted position lights; or
(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;
(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft--
(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or
(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or
(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the interest of safety to turn the lights off.

From AOPA in regards to this question.

I own a 1949 Piper PA-16. It has postion lights but no strobe lights. In reading FAR 91.209 Visual Flight Rules Night requires postion lights but says if strobe lights are installed they must be on unless deemed unsafe. Does this mean that I can fly the aircraft at night without strobe lights since none are installed? If it must have strobes, which FAR applies to the installation of those strobes to an aircraft certified in 1949.

Under FAR 91.209 only aircraft position lights are required. Strobes are not required. FAA Chief Legal Counsel has issued opinions stating strobe (anticollision) OR position lights. OR is giving you the option. Since your aircraft is not equipped with strobes, installation is not necessary.

Regards,

Larry Barnhart

Aviation Services Department

Wow. In the 1960s, it was legal to fly at night with only nav lights. Then somebody led us all to believe that we either had to have a red rotating beacon or a white one, in addition to the nav lights. Then it could be a strobe in place of the beacon. And now I can take the strobe off the Cub? Good. That extra battery is a pain. Bad - strobes seem to me to be almost as good as a red or yellow aircraft, for collision avoidance.

Spotting traffic at dusk or dawn can be a strain. I really like a flashing strobe. The flash grabs my attention easier that just nav. lights or no light at all. teeweed

91.205(c) requires pilots to have minimum equipment for VFR day (91.205b) plus, (1) spare fuses, set of three for each type, (2) landing light if for hire, (3) anticollision lighting if type certificated after August 11, 1971, (4) position lights on the wingtips, and (5) an adequate source of power for all installed electrical quipment.

Back