• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska Wild Game Processing

cubflier

Palmer, AK
Just wondering if there are any recommendations on where to get wild game processed.

I'm clearing some of last years game to make room for this years catch and would like to have some good teriyaki sticks. polish, hot dogs and the like made up out of the last years game. Also hoping to find a processor that will do "reduced fat" as an option.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Meat Processing

Jerry,

Pioneer Meats in the Rainbow mall (on the other side of Wasilla) does a really good job. Also, if you don't feel like going to Anchorage, you can stop by Shoprite, and they'll forward it on to Alaska Sausage for you. The only one here in the valley I would stay away from would be the one on the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy. I took in a goat last year, and they "misplaced" every bit of it. :bad-words:

Alaska Sausage is the way to go.... They are expensive, but good.

Even though I have yet to have any trigger time this fall......

Mike

I second the mention of Indian Valley Meats, never had any problems with them when I lived up there.

I don't go to Alaska Sausage anymore ever since I found out that they don't guarantee you get your own meat back--you get the correct game and pounds, but they reserve the right to mix meat (they do however say you get your own fish back, if you have them process that). If, like me, you go to great lengths to bring back high quality meat, you may not want to have it mixed w/ meat from other hunters. I take mine to Indian Valley (and I live in Chugiak). BTW--if you go to IV, do yourself a favor and have some pastrami made--it's awesome!

Mark

Lisa, if she's still there at Pioneer, did several moose for me in the late '90's and I was never disappointed. Her breakfast sausage was out of sight. After the first year, when she knew how I wanted it cut, she would send someone over to the Wasilla airport to pick up the meat when I flew it in and didn't have wheels. She also would bone it all out to save on the (air) shipping cost outside.
The most amazing thing about her was to watch maybe a 100 pound female pack a whole hind leg into the cooler by herself!!
Mike

25Tango said:
I don't go to Alaska Sausage anymore ever since I found out that they don't guarantee you get your own meat back--you get the correct game and pounds, but they reserve the right to mix meat (they do however say you get your own fish back, if you have them process that). If, like me, you go to great lengths to bring back high quality meat, you may not want to have it mixed w/ meat from other hunters. I take mine to Indian Valley (and I live in Chugiak). BTW--if you go to IV, do yourself a favor and have some pastrami made--it's awesome!

Mark

When I worked as a dock boy there were several occasions we would get the typical new york Yankee coming back from a hunting trip. They would bring in half rotten meat and then wanted it processed by a local company off some place on International airport road in Anchorage. Would they even process the that? or mix it in other peoples catch? Gross. I remember some of them would even have the meat cut up and covered with maggots and sand!

There is a place in Fairbanks that used to do good work for me but I heard they don't guarantee you get your own meat back. I quit going there. I saw a couple of guys bring in meat they had drug through the mud on their 4 wheelers. That convinced me not to want to take my game meat there. I now use a local butcher. He and his wife process one moose at a time. I know I get my meat back. I take great care to take care of the meat and I want to know that the meat I get back is mine. Good luck.

Back