• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Backcountry Minnesota and Wisconsin destinations

KingCub

NW Indiana
I've got full tanks of gas, fishing gear, camping gear and several long weekends available this fall. Anyone want to share some off-field destinations, sandbars, remote areas that might offer some fishing or just fun camping in Minnesota or Wisconsin? Paved strips and population centers are out!

Northwest Indiana gets a little boring this time of year, and I and my SC need to get out before my sanity leaves me.

PM'ing is ok too.

If you are anywhere near my place you are more than welcome to stop and pitch your tent.

Keith

KingCub,
We'll see you on the 22nd-23rd at Side Lake !! No excuses !! We will be hitting several local grass n off fiald strips. And you are always welcome here ! Check out the post regarding the Fall Colors tour !!

KingCub- the only drawback is that in northern MN there aren't many places to go on wheels except airports. Really no sandbards, meadows, etc to land on. You can land at private strips likes Dave's or Keith's, or some farmers field, but most aren't on water for fishing. Now, if you're on floats or skis, its pretty much wide open. Lakes galore and all are open to seaplanes. I'm sure you'd still have fun at the fall color tour, and maybe bum a truck or boat from someone and get some fishing in. Bring the shotgun- lots of grouse this year too. Russ

Russ,
you gotta get out more on wheels. We regularly go to off field places !! Never got the chance when I had the floats on. Which they will be next spring !!!

Find anyone else on floats to tag along ?

Generally, I go from skis direct to floats and back. Where the heck do you land in NE MN on wheels, that you can't on skis or floats, that has hunting or fishing on the spot? I know of most of the local grass strips, but sure haven't ever seen anywhere in all my travels that looked like the best way to get there is on wheels. I know early and late winter wheels will work, but most cases so will skis, and the ultimate will be wheel skis which I should have on in November. Guess I do need to get out more. The only direction my Stinson knows is North. Might have a friend in an L-19 on floats. Does the tour still stop in Grand Marais at Devils Track? As I recall the airport and seaplane base are right on top of each other there - much like Tower and Ely Lake. I don't think Two Harbors has water near the airport? Hope to make it. Russ

Looks too fast to be trolling! Cool video! Were you able to land there? I'm sure there are some places to get on wheels, just that there are thousands on floats and skis. Pick your little lake, land, camp, and fish. I don't think mom would want me and kids water skipping on wheels, but it sure looks like fun. I guess with living on the lake its a lot more convenient to have the plane right out the door on floats/ skis. I'm sure if I lived off lake I'd find more reasons to be on wheels. Back when I got my PPL about 12 years ago, my check ride guy - Ed Marjla - told me right after signing my ticket "Now go throw those wheels away - no place for them here in Northern MN" - its worked for me ever since.

Tim,

Years ago I worked out of the grass strip in Isle, on the SE corner of Mille Lacs Lake. Its not on the map anymore but it is easy to find and the 2800ft grass strip is perfect for a cub. I was just up there last week in my 12. Brought back alot of memories. If you want to fish, there is a charter company right across the road with reasonable rates (sorry I cant remember the name). Also, anyone who hasn't been to Bob Leaders in Clear Lake should come on down. I know he lets people camp there.

Kevin

superchamp said:
Looks too fast to be trolling! Cool video! Were you able to land there? I'm sure there are some places to get on wheels, just that there are thousands on floats and skis. Pick your little lake, land, camp, and fish. I don't think mom would want me and kids water skipping on wheels, but it sure looks like fun. I guess with living on the lake its a lot more convenient to have the plane right out the door on floats/ skis. I'm sure if I lived off lake I'd find more reasons to be on wheels. Back when I got my PPL about 12 years ago, my check ride guy - Ed Marjla - told me right after signing my ticket "Now go throw those wheels away - no place for them here in Northern MN" - its worked for me ever since.

Russ,
You are 100% right about the places to go and things to do on floats !! Mine will be on next spring for sure , if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise !!! We do have some fun with the big tires, but as you say its limited compared to floats !

off field

Dave - Those old mine roads and pits look very inviting between Hibbing and Nashwauk. Come test those 31's out in the swamp trails north of Floodwood and west of Meadowlands.

Brian,

Dont be givin' out all my secret spots !!! :D :D

Floats are much more fun, but gotta make the most of the situation !

Back