• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Type of Handheld Radio

On Patrol

BENEFACTOR
Wentworth NH" The WAD" NH96
Hi All,
For those that have experience lugging around Hand held radios what manufacturer and model would you advise. I need only for radio ops so a VOR function is not desirable. It appears from my limited exposure that battery problems seem to be major. I have bid on an ICOM on ebay but you never know how that will turn out. I see Sky Geek has a Vertex model not priced off the page. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
John

Despite the horrible batteries and dreadful, byzantium programming logic I am still an ICOM fan.

I simply bought a small storage battery (5 amp) and wired it in and carry the programming instructions in the seatback to assist me on occasion.

ICOM

I have been using my A22 for over 10 years with no problems. I always use the alkaline battery pack and carry spare AA's because I don't like the clutter of an extra motorcycle battery and associated wiring. Most of the time I fly with ear plugs in and leave the radio in the back seat. When I do need the handheld I use the belt clip and attach it to the shoulder harness strap down where it connects to the lap belt. No push-to-talk switch, I use the one built into the handheld. With an external antenna I can communicate with aircraft 50 miles away. The VOR function is useless.

Jason

What's a VOR? :D
I use a really old Terra Blue Brick TPX720. It doubles as a wheel chock, boat anchor, door stop etc. They are dang near indestructible.

I have the ICOM A6, It is a good radio however it is very sensitive to RF interference and I get a lot of static.

I had an a23 for years. It worked great until it fell into the river, at which point I discovered that their customer service (repair dept) leaves a lot to be desired (at least in my case). It worked good enough that rather than shop around I just bought another. I will keep it dry :eek:
I do have a bnc connector on the wing root wired to the wire external antenna. And found that to make a big difference.
another note:
For all those that do not have a sat phone or PLB but fly in the sticks I would say carry one. I know several people who have called in their own "ride" home when things went south. Just think of all the crash stories you've heard where the people say " I kept hearing the rescue plane flying overhead and then leave" I can think of several, even a recent one where that time lost cost a persons life. Put it where Jason keeps his (the seat belt) and it will be in your hand as you undo and exit. Mine stays in a soft case on the x brace, but I'm a shorty :lol:

Josh said:
I have the ICOM A6, It is a good radio however it is very sensitive to RF interference and I get a lot of static.

I second the ICOM A6, we have the A3 and the A6 and the A6 is always with us.

I do not have a sat phone yet, but last year used my handheld twice to talk to airtraffic overhead in the flightlevels to extend my flight plan and call home to let the wife know things were fine. Once on floats and once on skis. Even though it wasn't an "emergency" and the aircraft radios were still functioning, it's nice to know I'm not going to have to prop start because I ran the battery down. I have the sporty's transceiver, but would prefer the icom A23 sport if I buy another. My father has this one and I like it for the compact size that could fit in a survival vest or pocket. The sport version is the one that uses alkaline batteries. I agree the VOR function has been useless. I know the A23 was available without this option, but not sure if any other models fit the bill? It seems some of the Vertex radios were also nice and compact.

I tried a couple of ICOMs back when they went to 720 channels and made my Edo Aire obsolete. With external antenna and a headset/push to talk deal, they were adequate for a time. Tower was quite considerate, but every now and then would drop a hint. Got the SL30 and a PS 501, and at least the tower is happy. I would be too if Garmin would ever modify the storage subroutine so I can have ATIS, ground, and tower all in a row.

Old school King KX99 with dry cell pack. Works well with external antenna, no PTT, and SP31. Nav side even sort of works, within 15 miles or so.

gb

The ICOMs are good radios. The old A22 is the best. I've got an A6 and it is just O.K. The problem with my A6 is that it runs the battery down when it's turned off. I have to remove the battery every time I turn it off and leave the airplane or it won't be working when I get back. I use the hand-held radios as the primary radio in both the J-3 and the PA-11. I have an ICOM panel mount in our Fairchild. What ever you do, don't get a Vertex Standard. I have one of those and the front end is so broad that as soon as you are air-born you begin to get image frequencies in the broadcast bands. Around any big city all you hear is distorted music. The manufacturer's Customer Service denies that there is anything wrong. The one I have now is the second one I have bought. After the first one was stolen, I convinced myself that there was some kind of component failure in the first one and bought a new replacement. It has the same problem, it is a design problem.
Unless something has changed, the Sporty"s hand-held radios do not have standard wiring or spacing to the mike and headphone jacks, making it difficult/impossible to connect to your headset. ...Clyde

I see that the Icom A4 goes for $220, while the A4 Sport goes for on ly $180. Anybody know the difference?

Rooster

generally, the "sport" comes without the accessories and with a clip for using alkaline batteries, while the standard will have the accessories (headset connectors, charger, AC plug, holster, etc) as well as a rechargeable battery pack.

"Alkaline batteries" meaning flashlight-type disposables, as opposed to rechargable battery pack?

don't get a Yeaseu. Mine was terrible for transmitting. It received quite well but yelling out the window was better than trying to transmit with it.

I'm with Grant. Mine was unusable. No range receiving or transmitting, the transmit button was intermittent, and the frequency would lock up so that you had to turn the unit off and back on before you could change frequencies. Ticked off the tower severely enough that I stuck it in a box and left it there. It was so bad that I won't sell it for fear of screwing someone else. Vertex bought them out, and I hear that Vertex solved the problems -- but I'm scared to give them a shot at doing it to me twice.
JimC

I had a Yaesu, too. Great for receiving. Forget anything else. I will say that their tech support was great as they fixed it for free when I discovered it wouldn't transmit.... It did transmit after that but was unreadable at the tower...

Sold it to a friend who was flying an airline turbine weedwacker at the time. He set it up at home so his wife could hear him working approach at the end of the shift....

I now fly with the A5 with an external. Works real well (once I got past the battery issue--see prior posts). Tower says it is clear and strong. They cannot believe I'm an antique non-electric no transponder 1947 Cub Special. They keep calling me "Super Cub Forty Seven Eleven...."

I've had an A4 sport for 8-9 years. No problems, I've dropped it on concrete the other day with no ill effects and I had it come off my belt while running a glider wing and bounce along the ground again no damage done. I don't transmit with it enough for the alkalines to be a problem and alkalines don't go dead when stored unlike some rechargeable batteries.

My Icom A6 came with the booby-trap Ni-MH battery. Fortunately, I bought the alkaline case for 18 bucks. The instructions say not to charge the Ni-MH more than 12 hours and they mean it! I killed the battery leaving it on charge over night. I think it is lunacy to expect people to time the charge carefully. If you think you will never make that mistake, you are too damn young.

Ron

I noticed on ebay that I can get the Li Ion battery option for an extra 50 dollars any thoughts?
John

Handheld

Yes, by all means get the Lithium battery. The ICOM can also use an AA pack as a back up to the back up. I found the NiMH didn't hold a charge that long, and yes, I do know about NiMH "memory" charging issues. I have an A-24, and while the VOR function may not seem terribly useful, you can program duplex FSS frequencies in (which I believe you cannot do on the A6). I first tried a VERTEX, but found it was not compatible with my interphone. A couple of years ago, the factory knew about this and had no fix.

Bottom line, I'd go with an ICOM A6 or A24 with Lithium and an AA pack backup.

With an external antenna you'll get very good range and strong reception.

Back