• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim location in a Smith's

Ron B.

Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
We built two supercub replica's at the same time . One totally Smith's kit and the other had an Airframes Inc. frame and all the remainder of the kit was Smith's.
I've been trying top figure out why I run out of nose up trim and the other plane doesn't. We know that with the 180 on the nose it will be heavy but why is my travel about 5/8" different.
At Oshkosh my friend discovered the problem and after measuring, the guy from TCOW was right on. Nic has a mistake in his jig. The aft pivot point for the stabilizer is about 5/8" too low. We measured the Airframes Inc. and other certified frames and the measurement from this pivot point to the bottom of the frame should be about 12 1/4" I believe and mine is something like 11 1/2" .
TCOW said they have fixed quite a few of Smith's frames, but none were covered. Has this been discussed here and I missed it or has this been kept under wraps? Perhaps with less hp it isn't a concern?
How much of a problem is fixing this going to be with Aerothane finish?
Ron

Ron, were is your battery located, I discussed this problem with Nick
and TCOW being that my fuselage is covered and my battery is
in the original location, that if I do run out of trim, a stronger
balance spring might help. I will be ready to fly this fall so we will see.

John

My battery is in the top aft baggage compartment along with the hydraulic power pack for the amph. floats. I also added a ten lb. lead at the tailwheel attachment point ( while on floats) and it helped a little.
Glad to hear your nearing completion.
I'm planning to raise my rear pivot point this winter. A local supercub guru ( Steve Gray) will help me , I think! He always has.

This was a problem with the earlier frames but I thought it had been fixed in the later ones. Steve Tubbs was the one to discover and start fixing this problem. I do think it was more of an issue with the 0-360 powered ships.
I thought it was discussed on this site but maybe not. Another weak point is on the gear. They were using 4 tack welds to hold the brake bracket on the axle rather than a continuous weld. Several have broken. I'll try to post a picture later.

Bill

Bill, The bracket with the tack welds, is it for the spring strut ? I
would like to check my gear for this problem.

Thanks, Jon

Photo showing partial weld at brake caliper attach disc.

Caldwell_visit_061.jpg

Bill

Back