• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prop options for a 230HP O-360??

Dave Calkins

Anchorage, Alaska
Prop options for a 230HP 0-360 (dyno'ed at 2700RPM, Lycon) on a very highly-modded Cub??

Leaning heavily toward an 83 or 86 inch MT two-blade.

If take-off performance were all we cared about, it'd be swinging a 90 inch fixed pitch.

Anyone have ideas?

What exhaust would you go with? It's a rear-governor, so I'm limited.

Thanks ahead of time. Please don't hesitate to offer any advice, prop, or otherwise. :D

DAVE

Dave

on our 250hp Cub we installed a 90" McCauly, originally off a Bird Dog. Fabricated an adapter plate to address the Lyc. bolt pattern as well as the prop. bolt pattern which matched originally a Continental motor. On 6" gear ext. still gives better than 15" of ground clearance with tail level. The application is a compromise but works well. Obviously a MT prop would be a more suitable application. MT's proposal 2 years ago was around 16k, incl. prop. hub and blades, spinner and back plate and governor. Not including controls, MP gage and instal. If you have a governor pad, that is the way to go. If you decide to go a similar route, with fixed pitch, we have a 2nd set of this adapter plate. Let me know if you need it.

Dave

on our 250hp Cub we installed a 90" McCauly, originally off a Bird Dog. Fabricated an adapter plate to address the Lyc. bolt pattern as well as the prop. bolt pattern which matched originally a Continental motor. On 6" gear ext. still gives better than 15" of ground clearance with tail level. The application is a compromise but works well. Obviously a MT prop would be a more suitable application. MT's proposal 2 years ago was around 16k, incl. prop. hub and blades, spinner and back plate and governor. Not including controls, MP gage and instal. If you have a governor pad, that is the way to go. If you decide to go a similar route, with fixed pitch, we have a 2nd set of this adapter plate. Let me know if you need it.

Thanks guys.

I'm collecting ideas for selection advice, and we're close to the wire on time-frame for getting a prop set-up.

Any other ideas?

DAVE

Dave, you might look at the Pawnee McCauley FA8452, as used on 235, 250 and 260hp PA-25's.

Let us know how this works out, eh?

Thanks. cubscout

Dave,

Hands down, I'd go with the 210 cm MT prop. It'll bolt right on, and pulls hard. Also, it is significantly lighter than the other alternatives. Even with buckets of power, as you well know, light will almost always beat might.

Call Dwayne Clemens or Larry Schlasinger for MT pricing.

I'm about to stick one on my 170, if that means anything.

As to cold air induction, I think you could only use that with an injected engine, neh? Although you could grab carb heat off an exhaust stack with a mid year 172 or Scout carb heat stack robber.....

MTV

Thanks, CubScout, it'll have a constant speed for sure. Otherwise, it'd be a 90 Inch metal prop.

Mike, thanks.

We've been talking to Larry and he's all about the 83".

It's an IO-360. I had been saying 'O-360'.

I'm trying to get as many opinions as will talk about this before we pull the trigger.

Thanks again guys. DAVE

Back