• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing tip strobe power pac location

C-YQK

Would you place a power pac for the tip strobes out on the tip or in the fuselage.

Trying to decide which would be the best

Thanks

Gary

On N18SY I chose to mount the Power Supply for all three strobes under the baggage compartment floorboard. That seems to be a good central location and easy to service.

Darrel

I like on the shelf in the back if that is where the battery is. On the floor under the seat is good too. If you have and ADF, it has to be at least 3 feet from the antenna. Use shielded wire, and be sure to check for interference with the radio, etc.

I have a little experience with strobes in aircraft, and a LOT of experience with them in ambulances. Whelen equipment is good quality, and with shielded wire and proper grounding I have never had a problem with radio interference.

My whelen strobe is mounted on the back of my cub. Not sure what model of strobe I have.......big fat thing. The sound-snap became weaker and weaker until I could not hear it. Before it went completely out...... I could hear the build-up and snap through my headset. ....now... it no longer lights up or makes any sound. I am not sure if it's the bulb or the power unit. I am getting power to strobe, but I am not sure how to test it for either a bad bulb or power unit. I like the looks of the wing combo-strobe. thanks teeweed

Eddy I still might try your first suggestion. Do many of the older strobes get sent in for repair or is it worth it? thanks teeweed

I have only had one power pack fail, and it was old so we just replaced it. Usually the problems have been a burned out bulb, bad connector or broken/chafed wire.

The last problem I had (other than a burned out bulb) was caused by a chafed wire. When you turned it on, the unaffected circuits would flash a few times before the system shut down on its own. You could hear the chafed wire go SNAP! SNAP! where it grounded. It was all charred and nasty.

When you say it is mounted on the back of your Cub, do you mean a self contained anti-collision strobe (like a 90081), or do you have a remote strobe head(s) with a power pack (like an A490) mounted somewhere else?

I guess either way, I'd troubleshoot it using their online manual. If that didn't pan out, I'd ask if they can repair the old one and get an estimate. They may not be willing to do repairs on the the little stuff, but At $500 to $600 for a new unit, I'd ask.

strobes

I chose not to run the high voltage line out the wing pasted the gas tanks mine are in the wing tips

Under the baggage compartment floor works good for me so far.

M1

One of the last replys was what I was concerned about in that mounting the power pac in the fuselage neccesitates high volt wires in the wing the company says 18ga sheilded wire will do but I would like to hear some more on this

Is this a safety issue?

Thanks
Gary

I think if you look at Whelan's site, you'll find that the strobe systems that are mounted in the fuselage with strobes out on the tips provide more light energy (joules??) than do the strobes with the power packs in the tips. I'm not sure why this is.

I have the power pack mounted in the fuselage, since I wanted the most light energy for the $$.

High energy wiring in the wings is no big deal, as long as you use the proper wire and connections are good.

MTV

Back