• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sight tube gauges?

TJ400

Lockport, Manitoba. Canada
wondering the best most accurate way of building sight tube gauges?

In principal they seem simple to build however I have read nightmares regarding these things... Can anyone share a plan and or pics of a good, safe, functional set of gauges?.. Do I install the indicating ball or do I view fuel line as level indicator?

I will be running auto fuel...

If there are good ones for sale, send link too...

thanks again.. TJ400

I have the same question but with one more twist. I have regular 18 gallon tanks with the electrical fuel sender/float setup. Would like to do away with that and go with site gauges. I cant seem to figure out what fittings are appropriate and the exact locations for those fittings. Oh, and mine is actually for an experimental project so certified solutions are not a concern for this one. Thanks.

We've used Tri Pacer tanks in our experimental cubs here. We weld up the original hole for the gauge and weld in 2 hose barbs for the sight gauge and add a threaded fitting in the front for a front fuel pickup.

We use clear vinyl tube for the sight gauges, get the kind suited for fuel.
We like the vinyl tube because it's simple and only has two connections as opposed to all the fittings in a piper style sight guage. Fewer fittings, less leak potential.

Check the Northland drawings to get the layout for your empty to full labels for the inside of the cockpit.

Mark

Sight gages are an absolute must(only reliable gage there is), and of all the airplanes I have flown with them, the super cub and the Pitts are the best. For a lap mounted tank like the Pitts, you should search "Pitts" on Barnstormers.com and look at the pictures for ideas. The super cub fittings are so simple, there almost brilliant and I have seen several with a clear plastic hose that work just as well as the glass, just not as pretty.

Good luck.

Sight gages

Covered electric gage holes w/ 1/8" plates and smeg on gaskets. Tygon formula A4040 is their recommended tubing but it's yellow. I've installed it on mine but may well have to change it to something clear. I run auto gas and a little 100 LL in my Sedan and have no problem w/ older clear tubing.

You may want to put a restriction in the tubing so that the fuel in the sight-gauge will not be surging up and down in rough air. a plug in the sight-gauge tubing with a 1/8th inch hole in it will mechanically average the level in the gauge making it much easier to read in rough air. ...Clyde Davis

Why not get off of your wallet and buy a set of gauges from dakota cub? I know you can build your own gauge, but the DC one is tested and you won't be messing with it later down the road. I realize you are experimental and all but sometimes its just time to bite the bullet and buy the best.

Thanks for all the info. I agree on getting off the wallet but I think for many here there is a lot of joy in fabricating a part you could otherwise buy. I know I fall into that category. Many honestly love building as much as flying. As far as buying the best, I guess that concept is in the eye of the beholder. Best for some is beautiful machining, for others its simplicity coupled with low cost. Clearly you can also have a beautiful item like Bauer's that is also simple. Again, thanks for the input.

Brad

Atlee Dodge makes & sells some newer style sight gauges that use clear, non-yellowing, hose/tubing that does NOT use the little red balls. A couple of advantages; 1) you can always tell how much fuel is in the tank, no restrictions in the coupling to give you a "false" reading, or have a small piece of dirt clog the hose, 2) no little red balls to go bad, 3) as far as I know these newer style gauges, which have been available for several years, fit the standard 18 gallon tank, 24 gallon dakota tank, or the 30 gl. dodge tanks. You install the measurment placard (emtpy, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full, one side level-the other side 3-point) after you install the guages by adding fuel and taking notes, then apply the sticker in the right place..this allows for accurate fuel quanity reading in different airplanes using different tanks.

behindpropellers said:
Why not get off of your wallet and buy a set of gauges from dakota cub? I know you can build your own gauge, but the DC one is tested and you won't be messing with it later down the road. I realize you are experimental and all but sometimes its just time to bite the bullet and buy the best.

I'm willing to buy a proven set, if I could just find one... can you provide the link to Dakota Cubs gauges... I can't find them on their site.... My tanks are 25 Imp. gal fabricated by a company in Montreal but hope a proven set of gauges will work with these tanks...

thanks

Back