• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Coghill River, Alaska

marker60

Wasilla, Ak
Anybody know about the landing and fishing prospects for the Coghill River in Alaska? I see they have issued an emergency order doubling the catch limit. It appears to be an hour or so from Wasilla, but I am wondering what kind of terrain to expect in the event I decide to journey over the hills. Any info is appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have flown into Coghill Lake several times and only on floats... I have not paid much attention to the shore line where the river spills out for possible use by wheel equipped aircraft. I fly over the Knik glacier and then cross College Fijord and descend to the lake. For the most part inhospital territory and definetly float plane country.

Jim

Fishing

hi Mark,
In the mid 70,s We used to land about a 1/4 mile west of the river
about 1/2 mile up from the bay. there was a fairly good peace of gravel
in the brush. don't know if it is still there but the fishing was good. That
was a long time ago. Good luck! Wayne

friday

went friday. 8 planes were landed in the lake. Fished 51 feet below the weir. Standard Russian River technique. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Catch as many as you can carry. Biologists encouraging it.
12 reds weight a lot, let me tell you.

Thanks for the replies. I figured the fishing had to be good if the limit was raised. Is there anywhere to land a wheel plane or is it strictly float access? How far upstream from the beach is the weir?

Re: friday

tt600 said:
12 reds weight a lot, let me tell you.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Since the first time I hauled 12 whole gutted/unfilleted Reds in a backpack, I learned to go ahead and fillet them out before I haul 'em. :D

I'm almost healed up from my bicycle-broken ankle. Wish I could go to Coghill. DAVE

I landed at Coghill on wheels a couple of years ago with Jay Baldwin in his cub. I think I might have a pic of it in my gallery on this site. Good clean areas along the river part, you just have to look for a place long enough and sweep it for obstacles.

Thanks, Christina!! If the weather permits, I may give it a look this weekend. I'll post the results if I get the chance.

Mark

Coghill on wheels update!!

My wife and I flew over to coghill a couple of times last year on wheels. Found a great 500 ft. gravel bar just up river from the mouth. Dropped her off so she could start fishing and I went exploring. You can also land on the beach (at low tide??) Came back about 30 min later and started fishing too. Then the tide started coming in.......FAST. Too fast and got stuck, pictures tell the rest of the story. Had to wait for the tide to go back out to take off. A nice family motored by in a dingy. They asked if they could help and how I got there?? :eek: I told them they were floating on my runway!!

Before.JPG

Getting_deep.jpg

Scary_High_tide.jpg

Gravel_bar_coming_back.jpg

And after all that 1 pink salmon. Planning on going back and try to even the score 8)

Three years after moving from Kodiak to the interior, I found the last of the left over tide books in a coat pocket.... :lol:

You simply cannot have too many tide books, or study them too long. Great story and photos..... :lol: Brings back memories.

MTV

Re: friday

Dave Calkins said:
I'm almost healed up from my bicycle-broken ankle.

Those bicycles are dangerous machines.
Stick with your Cub... when's the last time you broke a bone in your Cub?

So what happened? Did you attempt a down-hill turn?

Wrecked a couple of 'em.

Never broke a fingernail.

That was a few years back. Airplanes and ankles both.

fyi I think it was a 10 maybe 10.5 high tide. Looking through the book we we found 14's were the highest tide and it was a couple of days out. My wife kept asking me about the "flotation" of the bushwheels????

I flew to the south end of Kodiak once to accomplish an early morning sneak up on some bandits. Borrowed a local guide's cabin to spend the night in, and put the Cub out on a running line, well off the beach in a little cove, so it'd be ready to go at the early morning hour, which was near low tide.

Got up at 4 AM, and the Cub was about 100 feet from the water, on it's running line :eek: .

Those Seldovia tides can be big uns.... :oops:

Had a nice relaxing breakfast, and flew home several hours later, after the plane floated....

MTV

nice pictures, pucker factor had to be up there some....

I wounder what are tail wheel half castings made out of? same stuff as Cleavlands, or? I know Cleavlands don't appreciate being submerged at all in salt water.....(Had one guy come in to change tires and insides of wheels were severely corroded away where water had been)

anyone know of resources to how they calculate tides, tides upstream in rivers, I know they have some tide station at port here...

figure with the built in GPS the Iphone would be able to do the math for you... make a tide book on steroids...

always hear people at whatever fishing hole on a river saying the fish will be here so many hours after high tide, when we may be many miles away from tidal areas.... app project for summer...

just wondering if there are some good tide math resources you guys have stumbled on....

Too much information takes away from the adventure of exploration. And I've had a few tidal change adventures! :eek: I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

SB

Having my airplane brought back to me following a tidal change adventure is a good memory. :eek: :cry: :D :oops: :roll: :stupid

Dave Calkins said:
Having my airplane brought back to me following a tidal change adventure is a good memory. :eek: :cry: :D :oops: :roll: :stupid

I am laughing!

Spent an extra six hours guiding a fisherman when the wind changed and pushed the plane to the beach on the running line...

Spent my first relaxing evening in a month sleeping in the 180 on the beach (sent the tourists back in the beaver), until she floated at 11 pm and flew home. I would out of cell range, so had a peaceful sleep.

Destroyed a set of cleavlands when I taxied through a slough to get to a dry spot to park, salt water corrosion, now I take them off if I go to the bearings and clean and clean...

waded a few channels racing to the plane to take off before the tide took the beach away...

Watched the 180 go dry on a picnic with the wife, so we enjoyed a sunset a little longer...

Yup, tides are fun.

HaHa, this tread brings back some good memories for me as well.
Then I got the 296 and it has saved me a couple of tide changes as well with its tidal page.

And I now know way all the drift wood is all stacked up in real neat piles too.
Bath tub tents are just that too. Wake up to the sound of water lapping at the tent.

JK

Luckily it never touched the rims on the mains but I lubed and lubed and cleaned the tailwheel. Tasted the water through the whole thing, never tasted salt.... but.... cleaned and cleaned... My wife and I had a lot of fun AFTER it was all over and a great story. And she loves the pictures and making up captions

J Pyle said:
Luckily it never touched the rims on the mains but I lubed and lubed and cleaned the tailwheel. Tasted the water through the whole thing, never tasted salt.... but.... cleaned and cleaned... My wife and I had a lot of fun AFTER it was all over and a great story. And she loves the pictures and making up captions

did you actually disassemble the tail wheel tire/wheel halfs and clean?? that's where water sits and corrodes.....

Back