PDA

View Full Version : Live the Dreams! WV to CA in Dad's Super Cub

Mark Grubb
06-30-2007, 02:10 AM
My Dad has flown Cubs and SuperCubs for 50+ years as an aerial photographer of some renown (See GrubbPhoto.com for some of his work). This year, at the age of 82, he decided to hand over the keys to his aerial workhorse and his "best friend" to his son (that would be me), whom he taught to fly in the 1970's and ignited a love affair with flying that continues to this day. Dad had expressed a desire to fly to the west coast in his Cub for decades and it finally came to pass.

Needless to say, we had a blast and it truly is a trip of a lifetime! Dad flew every leg and I was navigator, radioman, and tour guide (I am a geologist by trade and have been trampling around the western USA since college)

Live Your Dreams!

Day 1. Bluefield, WV - Owensboro KY (fabulous BBQ 1 mile from the airport!). Owensboro - Ft Scott KS. Ft Scott is highly recommended! Super nice folks. Free hangar, free crew car (filled it with gas and tipped airport manager) for 2 entire days (stuck by WX), decent Mexican food.

Day 3. Ft Scott - Wichita, Wichita - La Junta, CO. Marginal VFR scud-running in eastern KS under the crud, around showers, and finally atop the scattered gloppy pouring rain cumulus in central KS to dodging medium-sized rain showers / CB's in eastern CO. The fields were flooded and creeks out of their banks! Quite different than my usual traverses across the Great Plains! The cows looked sort of happy - if they had a dry place to stand..... Flooded beef feedlots really do stink, though.

La Junta is highly recommended. Free crew car ($10 donation), interesting old Fort/Trading Post and great BBQ at the "Hog's Breath Tavern" in town.

La Junta - Leadville CO. Leadville is a must-stop for all Cub drivers! Watch that density altitude! Free crew car overnight ($20 donation - we did a lot of looking around) and great Mexican food at "The Grill".

Day 4. Leadville - Gunnison - Crested Butte - Aspen - Marble - Montrose - Silverton - Durango - Cortez. Awesome sight-seeing in the Rockies through my old stomping grounds. We are not crazy; I have flown sailplanes and Super Cubs in (and I do mean "in" and not "over") these and many other mountains since a I was a teen-ager.

We planned on stopping in Durango but it was packed so on to Cortez. Best Western in Cortez is very nice and operated by a T210 pilot. They will pick you up at the airport and drop you off back at your airplane at 0-dark- thirty in the morning.

Day 5. Cortez - Paige via Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, and the San Juan River Arm of Lake Powell. Scenery is everything you can imagine and more. Jaw-dropping scenery. Paige folks are very friendly. Paige - Sedona via the edge of the Grand Canyon National Park. Stunning!

Sedona was quite the rodeo at 2 PM with a 0-20 kt 90 degree X-wind and huge thermals blasting up the canyons on final. Some poor chap in a C-182 made 5 passes, gave up and flew home. Team Super Cub made it in, first pass NoBigDeal. Sedona is a tourista-trap and way too busy for my taste. However, the motel adjacent to the airport and the airport restaurant were very comfortable, secluded and quiet. Airport hospitality was also excellent. The restaurant had a special of endless tempura shrimp that was outstanding.

Day 6. Sedona - Kingman - Tehachapi. Joshua approach allowed a direct flight through R-2505 that surrounds Edwards AFB (where I work) and we got excellent views of the lake bed, main base and north base.

The Cub performed flawlessly, just as it has since 1976 when Dad bought it new. She is immaculate a proud addition to my family. She is also a constant reminder that I must work hard to live up to my fathers legacy as an aviator and a man.

Total time: 30.5 hrs Hobbs in 5 days of awesome flying with my Dad.

SteveE
06-30-2007, 06:38 AM
There is no doubt that you will remember that flight for the rest of your life, and no better person to share it with. Congratulations, and give him many more flights. I am a dad and do that sort of stuff with my son. He just joined the Air guard and has a good opportunity to fly fighters. I sparked his interest in aviation, just like my dad before me. I am sure he is just as proud of you and your accomplishments.
Blue Skies

Steve

cafi19
06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Mark,

That was a very nice read! Thanks for sharing it. I hope to share similar experiences with my son (hopefully long before I'm 82).

:D

cafi

Steve Pierce
06-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Mark :up Reading your trip log reminded me of a trip my Dad and I made from Vancouver, WA to Texas. I hope to do the same with my son.

cubscout
06-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Mark, YAHOOOO!

Thanks to you and your dad for that account. I'm just sorry you didn't stop by Waverly West since you were in the same time zone.

Friends, y'all need to string together some XC accounts like this: I can see a whole new topic heading on the website. steve, are you out there?

And check your PM.

Thanks. cubscout

HydroCub
06-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Mark, YAHOOOO!

Friends, y'all need to string together some XC accounts like this: I can see a whole new topic heading on the website. steve, are you out there?

cubscout

Good idea..... but does it have to be in a Cub? I go around the world once or twice a year.

Took my grandson on an OMA--LNK trip a few months ago. He's still talking about that 10 minutes of jumpseat time. He's smart enough... I think he about had things figured out.

bob turner
07-01-2007, 01:41 PM
I have 15 transcontinentals in a J-3 - over half without a radio, and with only 12 gallons. Only two got terminated early; one by a thunderstorm that ripped the fence I was tied to out of the ground, the other by a catastrophic engine failure. What fun! I think I am too old for that famous ten mile walk for dinner at the end of the day. And too broke to do it with Hertz rent a cars.

lasjim
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Mark,

Thanks for sharing the log of your trip with your dad with us. It's great that you made the time to spend with your father. I love taking my cub on long trips as well.

Soaring looks good this week, too bad I'm in Tokyo and Bangkok until Friday.

Jim D

Eddy Lewis
07-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Mark

Sounds like a great trip, my Dad was out at the Cortez airport getting something out of my cub when you pulled in. He said that your Dad came over and visited a while. I wish I would have been there to visit about aerial photography with your Dad and to meet the both of you. Maybe you will have to make it back out this way again. Thanks for sharing your trip with us . Eddy Lewis