• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Weatherly 620

ag-pilot

SPONSOR
Mt.
This is off topic but does anyone here know of any Weatherly 620 sprayplanes that are projects or anyone that might have parts? I bought a project and need a few things.
Thanks

Dave

hey dave,
the spray operator based in gettysburg SD runs Weatherlys he may have some parts.
hope it helps!
TOM

I work on 2 620B's mabey I can help pm me with your wish list, I dont have very many parts and would like to hold on to them, at least intel the factory opens up again.

620B

Tom, Thanks for the tip, I think I have talked to them already.

Jobadias, I sent you a PM

Anyone else know of any wrecked ones sitting around??

Thanks,

Dave

Kyle Scott in Fort Morgan, Colorado had been cycling through some older projects in the last couple of years. He's a nice guy as I remember. I think he also runs the FBO there so you could probably get him through AirNav.com

Contact STEVE SCHNEIDER at KRUG------- Rugby, N.D.
Phone 701-776-5171
Steve run's a nice Weatherly that he keeps in good shape and might know of some parts.

620B

Thanks guys, It is very frustrating knowing the company has some of the parts but can't or won't sell them and there were just not enough of these ever produced to have a very good supply of used.

I Talked to Hal Weatherly for a hour yesterday and he was very helpful but has very little to do with it anymore.

Dave

Pretty late reply but there used to be a couple out here (Australia), lost one in the early nineties. There was one still flying a couple of years ago. Our regulatory authority in their wisdom put a spar life of around 5,000 hours on them, must be be about up now if it's still around. The rego was VH-WEI. Didn't like them to fly much, couldn't carry anymore than a Beaver and not as nice to fly. Not having flap was a worry in and out of shorter strips.

You see these for sale well equipped and cheap, tempted to look at one but don't know anything about them. Are they cheap just because there are not many of them and parts availability, or are there other (performance) reasons? I've heard they lack rudder, but don't know if that is true. My biggest concerns are getting a heavy hopper over the trees on a hot day and making quick, tight turns. Currently looking for a clean 600 Thrush if anyone knows of one for sale.

Mark, The 620b weatherly will haul 300 all day and turn very good with it I'm told. I have a buddy in Kansas who put several seasons on one and he had a choice between it, a big tail A/C equipped 301 with servos or a 401. He said it was the best flying sprayplane he ever sat in including the turbines he now flys. Big advantage is they only burn 25 or so with the 985 versus 40 or so with the 1340. If I was going to buy a 600hp plane I would buy a 301 with the bug tail and servos they will haul quite a bit more than a thrush and do it faster. The 620B I have is a 95 model which they say is the best flying one, I guess they changed them a bit in 96 and lost a bit of the good feel. It had been run out gas and flipped. I;m in the process of putting it all back together right now. I'll still be very surprised if its as efficient as the cessnas. nobody believes me but I haul 195 in my wagon all day every day unless I'm on real short stuff with low vol.
Dave

Dave,

I've been told that the Thrush would get the same load over the trees and turn better than a 301 due to it's wing. Most of my work is off of short dirt strips or blocked off back roads, and as soon as you can get the tail up the windshield is full of big trees. The Eagle will haul a good load, I'll start well over 200 gal in the morning, and have never needed to go less than 170 when it's hot with a tail wind. It's just so damn slow, I need to go faster and haul around 400 for the big contracts. A Wagon isn't out of the question, I just don't know if it will clear the trees or haul the loads I need to haul. I'll have to keep the Weatherly in concideration. By the way, I have a nice Eagle with a fresh annual for sale if you know anyone who wants a good spray plane. :lol:

Queen Bee Air In Rigby Idaho had a one that they are parting out. It flew in after its last spray season.

800 736-7654
Talk to Chip Kemper he is a good guy

Back