• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oil dipstick reading on floats?

I don't notice any difference. I pull my floats on to some tires along the shore so I am guessing the angle at which it sits isn't all that much different than wheels or skis. My mechanic did the annual and he put 7 quarts in the engine. When I preflighted the aircraft it indeed showed 7 quarts of oil. It was on wheels when they did the annual and put new oil in. They then put the floats on and it still read seven quarts.

dipstick reading on floats

Thanks for the info. I know on 206's on wheels I used to fly it made a big difference where the nose strut sat, so I assumed it would be even more pronounced between wheels and floats, but we're not seeing much difference either. Our dipstick always reads a little low, i.e. 7 quarts (before and after filter addition) reads about 6 and a half...

The little Lycomings have a deep, short (fore and aft) oil pan. The Continentals have a shallow, but long (fore and aft) oil pan.

The 185 should have different markings on the dipstick for floats and wheels. The 206 does not, and it shouldn't vary ALL that much, though some.

With the Cub, it'll vary just a bit, more if you use very big tires on wheels, but really not enough to make much of a difference, at the range most fly these engines, which is around 6 to 7 quarts.

MTV

It makes just a wee bit of difference on my C-90 if it is heel beached.
When she is in displacement mod it reads pretty close to how she looks on wheels.

Every now and then just nose beach her or put her on a ramp. Then you can check to see that you were worrying about nothing.

Although, ,,,,while up on the ramp re-check your wing tank sumps. Taildraggers were designed to sit all night tail-down. Sometimes you don't get all the kutties out of the tank if she is heel beached on floats.

Back