• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Extended Landing Gear Angles

PA18project

Missoula MT
Not sure if this is better posted here or in modifications but Im building experimental so I figured Id post here.

For background's sake, I am building a stretched tri-pacer similar to the concept of the Dakota super pacer. The plan at this point is to use the same angle from the front main gear leg to the axle tube that is found on the super cub. Problem is - I'm making 3 inch extended gear which will only widen the stance if I don't change the angles.

A review of the plans I have for the 2 + 2 and for the supercub fail to give me any answers on the angle between the front main gear tube and the axle tube since both contemplate standard length gear.

If anyone was willing to share the angle between the front main gear leg and the axle tube I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Brad

Just went back and re-checked my math (and re-measured the jig I thought I had constructed properly). Looks like the distance from the center line of the bolt for the front gear fitting to vertical to the imaginary center line for the axle tube is approximately 23 inches (OK, so 22 and some change). Frankly, the gear simply looks too wide. By the way, the front gear legs are presently planned to be 33 inches from center of front gear fitting bolt to center of axle tube. Am I missing something big here? Thanks.

Back