• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11. Is it light sport legal/

barefoot

1350 duette rd, myakka-florida
[ I have a PA-11 that i want to restore. When i acquired it all the logs were missing along with the other paper work. All that i received was a registration which i had transferred. I am told that if i restore it from the ground up and have it inspected by the feds that i can start with new logs and a D.A.R. can issue a new airworthiness cert.
Does this sound right to you folks who know about these things?

The next biggie is the PA-11 LSA legal? what are the spects. of a PA-11 and where do i go to find out this information. I am just an old dumb a-- farmer and need all the help i can get!! So please feel free to share your imput with me.

what if I convert the 85c to an o-200. what will that do for me? the main objective is to keep it light sport if it is indeed in that category.

dar[/b]

The PA11 is LSA legal. You shouldn't need the FAA or a DAR unless you don't have the Airworthiness Certificate. There are no life limited parts on a PA11 so you can rebuild what you have and enter total times unknown. The C85 can produce as good if not better hp and torque that the O-200. Do a search on this site or contact Don Swords at Don's Dream Machines. He has a lot of data on the C85 with an O-200 crank and some other legal tricks to get hp and torque out of a C85.

Barefoot, a friend of mine has recently had Don install an O-200 crank in the 85 he runs on his clip-wing cub. It dynos 97 hp and is noticably stronger than the stock 85. I run an O-200 on a long-wing J3, and can outrun him when I choose to, because of the higher rpm capability of the O-200 cam. When we're formation flying, I throttle back for him to stay with me. Personally, I think you'd be happy with the performance of either engine. Back in the 60's, we installed an O-200 on a PA-11, and if you do, I suggest that you raise the thrust line angle to more closely approximate the J3 thrustline angle. We found that the substantial power increase with the O-200 as compared to the 85 caused the -11 nose to want to tuck when using the stock PA-11 engine mount. I don't remember if it was mentioned in an earlier post, but the specs for the -11 are on the same type certificate as the -3.

If you do install the O-200, a 7142 prop gives a pretty good combination of cruise and climb. For the 85, a 7441 works well (but I don't know if its legal).
JimC

Jim

Jim,
Better be glad your Clipped Wing Cub buddy doesn't have a Aeromatic installed on his plane. Years ago, I owned a Clipped Cub with a C90 and Aeromatic. It was much faster than any other cub I have ever seen. In fact, it was faster than a 115 hp Citabria. I have seen 120 mph at cruise at 2450 rpm, and sure, you did run completely out of down trim. That Aeromatic also gave a blistering takeoff, so one had the best of both worlds.

Mike

Mike, sounds like your 90 clip-wing is faster all right. The longwing O-200 tops out at 118 mph at 2950 rpm with two on board and mid-level fuel, so your cruise is 2 mph faster than our top end. However, max allowable cruise is only 90 and we rarely turn that, preferring to loaf the engine. However, my point that a stroked 85 on a clipwing won't stay with an O-200 longwing still holds.
JimC

Back