• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

rigging after install of new struts

FirstCruiser

Just installed new lift struts. In reading the procedure for rigging it states...
To level the airplane laterally and longitudinally, drop a plumb bob on a string from the hole located on the underside of the upper door frame member, 4-1/2 inches forward of the rear door frame member, to the hole in the metal plate located under the right side of the rear seat. Adjust the jacks or blocks until the plumb bob centers over this hole.

My question is this, the metal plate under the rear seat on my plane does not have a hole in it. Has anyone run into this and if so what course of action is appropriate?

If that link allows a "Smart Level" then that is what you should do. Mark, at Thrustline, is an expert in this area, and can help. Remember that there is nothing you can do about angle of incidence, but you can in fact set wash-in with reference to angle of incidence, rather than some arbitrary bent longeron someplace.

Vidir,

I cannot get that link to work. Is there a trick to it?

Bent

Bent,
No, there should be no trick to it. It works on my computer. You can also try to copy and paste the URL.

If it doesn't work PM your email and I'll send the file as attachment.

I have separated the Piper leveling info out of the FAA document. I can send it to you as a "Word" doc if it would help. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you.

Joe,
Should we ask Steve to post the word file with the other tech articles on this site?
This is information in demand for the owners of long wing Pipers listed.

I have used the smartlevel and must say its by far and away the easiest and most accurate way to do it.

Are you trying to rig a PA-18? If so the plum bob should be over the hole on the lower tubing of the door. There will be a small pilot hole drilled about a inch or two forward from the tail end of the door. Once you pulled your vinyl back you may have to scrape the glue off the tubing to locate the hole.

Cub_Driver

Back