• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fueling step

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
I'm a little vertically challenged and just got the Champ home on floats. When refueling with cans, while standing on the floats, it is at my limit if reach. I checked all the normal places (AS, Wicks, Univair) looking for a step that mounts to the front float strut. No luck. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Thank you,
Keith Leitch

Also looking for a knowledgeable guy in northern MN to do a prebuy inspection on a floated SC.

I would try Dodge first also, if you have Edo's Kenmore Air makes one.

Keith, I've seen 'em on Scouts. Wish't I'd a had 'em on the ones I usta run. Looked just like the Cessna setup.

You might try American Champion Aircraft in this regard.

Let us all know what you come up with, eh?

Thanks. cubscout

Keith , I just ordered one for the left side float strut from Atlee Dodge . It's a bit pricey at $150 for a piece of angle Aluminum but would hate to see what Kenmore would want for it . I have one on the right side on the float strut and it sure helps out when fueling.

Erik

Guys, I called Altee and they only make for the SC's but would custom make me one if I send the dimensions. I'll look a little more before I go that route.

Keith

WWHunter,

Sounds like Atlee's shop was HEARING wheels, not floats. The float strut material on a champ isn't that much smaller than on a Cub, is it??? The Atlee steps I've seen just slide over the front of the strut and through bolt.

Kenmore Air, aka EDO will have em as well.

MTV

Mike,
I specifically told them it was on PK 1500's and they responded that the ones they carry are for the EDO 2000's. I will check the demension the next time I am near some EDO's and see if they are the same or close to the same. I wouldn't think they would be much different.

Thank,
Keith

OH,,,,Pee Kay's. Then get hold of Alton Bouchard at PeeKay, inc. in Maine. Here's the web address: http://www.pkfloats.com/

Alton has helped me out with older parts that he inherited when he bought the company. He's a good guy, and honest as can be.

MTV

Thanks again Mike. Not sure why I didn't think of calling PK....especially since I just talked to them last week concerning the mounting of the floats on the Champ.

Keith

Keith- when I had your plane I had called PK regarding a fueling step. They had never heard of such a thing-or at least the brain surgeon I had on the phone hadn't. If I recall, I had a little bent piece of metal that slid down in the top of the float strut, and stuck out about 3 inches-just enough to get a foot on. I'll look around for it. I just slipped it on when fueling-then put it in the back of the plane and kept it with me. If you're fueling off a dock, you can reach the wing tank real easy off a 5 gallon bucket. Don't put too much in those wings starting out. Put 5 in the right and fill the nose. Keep her light while learning. Russ

Lane Panepinto at Southern Seaplane in Belle Chase Louisiana can give you a solution to your problem.

(Belle Chase is directly South of New Orleans. They are back up and running after the 2 big ones. Quit is a word not in his vocabulary)

Update!
I called PK and talked to Alton as Mike suggested. He sent me two, 28" angled extrusions and I had them in a couple of days. The cost...$35! Gotta be one of the cheapest things I have purchased for a plane in quite a while. As mike said, Alton was an honest and nice guy. He sent them COD.
Now the question. Do I just drill a hole through the strut to mount these? It is a structural part and I hate to drill a hole there unless it is okay. I believe Alton at PK said that I would bolt it where there are already bolts but that is not going to work.
Keith

Keith, I would call the PK guy back and get his recommendation. The piece of angle aluminum on my stinson is drilled and bolted to the float struts. Some mechanics say you shouldn't drill the struts. So there is differing opinions. Can't believe you got anything for a plane for $35. Good for you- are you flying it yet?

Russ,
Yes, I was a little shocked also at how inexpensive they were, especially after calling Altee Dodge.

I think the same way...don't think I should just drill through the strut. I talked to Scout last night and he suggested putting a bushing in the strut if it is drilled through. Sounds like a good idea, but I am going to check what is legal when I go to town today.

Been flying the Champ a bit. I have 10 hours on floats so far. Did 14 TO/Landings a couple days ago but the winds have been pretty nasty here lately so I just need to be patient.

Keith

People drill holes through vertical struts all the time for this purpose. Inserting a bushing may be a good idea, but I doubt it's necessary.

I can't tell you how many hundreds of sets of floats I've seen, right out of the factory, with holes drilled in the struts to attach fueling steps. Wip does it all the time, as does EDO, and PK.

The bushing may be a good idea, if it's aluminum, that way it'd be sacrificial, but I've never seen a corrosion problem with these in any case, even operated in salt.

Remember, those struts are THROUGH BOLTED on their ends, correct? Just don't tighten them more than snug, and use nylock nuts.

No big deal.

MTV

Thanks Mike. I may just do it without a bushing and then this fall when I take them off I'll install a bushing. I'm 160 so it shouldn't be a problem.
I emailed Alton for his take on it also.

Back