• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Taylorcraft or Kitfox

wadecalvin

Oregon
Hey guys,

My mission is to build tailwheel time on local grass and dirt strips and basically just fiddle-fart around. No real heavy hauling. Very occasional 110-150 mile short cross country trips would be my max

Eleveation for most local strips is 3,000 to 5000

I'm spending $20K

uTube has some pretty cool Kitfox footage - I know there are pro's and cons and I understand about the yaw issues- Still, looks like more fun than the 150 I rent.

I like the open doors flying capability and the fact that its experimental catagory, good visibility etc.

But the Taylorcraft is a real airplane and an 85 horse would would probobly be a better choice and it can cruise considerably faster.

I'm gonna try to locate a T-craft and a Kitfox to fly locally so I can feel the difference but I'd like your ideas and experiences.

Other airplanes?

My first airplane was a t-craft. I loved it. Owned it from 1974 until 1986 and recovered it once during that time. Mine had a 65. Plenty of power for the flat lands. Also, with both 6 gal wing tanks and the 12 gal cowl tank, you can fly forever. It will make you a good TW pilot, not hard to fly, but with the quasi- symmetrical airfoil and no flaps, it doesn't slow down as quick as some. I had a cruise prop on mine, so that didn't help. I never flew a kitfox, but I think for the $$ you can't go wrong with a nice T-Craft.

JMHO

Rich G

Buy a Tcraft! I have owned both a 65hp BC12D and the 100hp F19. The BC12D flew better because it's CG was slightly farther aft than the F19. I took my 65hp Tcraft a LOT of places off airport and in the mountains and was very comfortable operating out of 300' strips. Great airplanes for the $$.

Jason
N22KY

I have very little time in T-Crafts. Flew a single seat once, and did enough landings in the tandem with spoilers to fall in love with it. The Kitfox is a totally different aircraft, with vastly different control feel. The one I flew was a superbly built Lycoming powered beauty, and while I feel the airframe is not aesthetically very appealing, I loved the way it felt and flew. I think you are looking at two very different alternatives - sort of like comparing an Ercoupe to a Thorpe T18.

T- Craft!! Flew one on floats nice airplane. My friend had a kit fox took him a long time to build, he had nothing but support problems and things not fitting right and etc.......Piece of Junk if you ask me,Ive been in it seen it nothing good to say.........

I'm a Tcraft fan too...got one in the shop with an 85, getting the big rebuild right now... and have a buddy looking for one as well.
JH

I would second, third, whatever, the Tcraft. I just got my tailwheel endorsment two days ago in a Taylorcraft. They are nice little planes. Also my brother's and my Tcart will be done in a week or so. They should also have a much better resale value, if you should chose to sell it.

"T" Craft, or Kitfox...

The old Taylorcraft would be my choice, and I have flown both T Crafts, and Kit Fox's. The T Craft is an EASY tailwheel, very docile and not senstitive at all. The T Craft is very forgiving in slow landing high pitch angles, and a 65 Continental lasts forever, and really is enough power for that plane. A 85hp T Craft would be a real performer. Another nice thing is that the T Craft is much faster than most 65hp powered planes. JW's old T Craft would cruise at around 100-105 mph, and that is a pretty good cross country speed for a low powered plane, nearly as fast as my 0-360 powered Smith Kit Supercub, but with less than half the fuel flow, and the 65 Connie loves car gas as well.

My 2c worth,

Mike

Only thing I would add is that if you do go with a kit pane, consider a well built Zenair 701 with either a 65-85 Cont. or a 912 Rotax. One huge benefit is that it is all aluminum. Another is that the thing will almost go vertical !!! Stall speed is in the high 20"s and cruise is 85-90 mph. Heintz really did a great job in designing this thing. I had one and skrewed it up by putting it on Amphib floats. Should have left it alone. With a 65 Cont, it would be off the field with one 200 lb. person ( Me ) in 55 feet. But as has been said before, you still have a plane that is not certified. Was a whole lot of fun though. Good Luck !!! The only mistake you can make is in not buying a plane. GO FOR IT !!!
STEVE J

I understand the T-craft will be coming out soon in kit form. It might just be the clipped wing version though.

"T-craft"the only way to go i bought my tcraft and rebuilding it soon it will cume alive flow some tcraft before buying and i fell very safe you cant go wrong.call charley center at cross wint stol he has a nice tcraft for sale.marc

behindpropellers said:
wadecalvin said:
Hey guys,

Other airplanes?

Champ, Chief, J-4, J-5 are all within your 20K range.

I would find the nicest out of the group....do you need a sport pilot airplane?

dont really need to go sport pilot but my needs seem to fall in that category.

Also have considered a Luscomb but tcraft sounds like it would do the short stuff better.

GReat input guys- thanks

Check out the Rans S7s Like I did..you will be glad you did!!!!!!!!
Call Mark Pringle at
Rockymountainkitplanes.com

Sam

8)

Snert said:
I understand the T-craft will be coming out soon in kit form. It might just be the clipped wing version though.

Can you elaborate? I believe an outfit called Bushwhacker Air has promoted a kitplane based on the Taylorcraft BC-12 design. Both bush plane (36' wing) and sport flyer (clipwing) versions. Sounds great, doesn't it?
However, no offense to anyone, but they seem to be long on promoting and short on producing. Last I checked (2 minutes ago), their website said "we will be taking a break from manufacturing to restructure and focus on new and better endeavors".
BTW, wadecalvin, the latest GA News has an ad for a T-Craft right in your back yard, Oregon. 1946 BC12D-85, $20K 541-562-5870

Rooster

redrooster
The Swick Bros. sold the rights to their conversion. The new owner is very busy taking the airplane to the next level and going to sell it in kit form. I get the impression that they are working on the development now and doing nothing on marketing until they are ready. What a concept! It will be more of an airshow/aerobatic competition airplane rather than a bush plane. I am told that the prototype is very nimble and rivals a stock single place Pitts in agility and performance without the "scare the hell out of you " landings. I want one. Just need to figure out how to afford two airplanes.

Learned to fly in a C-150 and then bought a '46 BC12D. 65 HP and it would indicate 100! A great little taildragger that I wish I still had, but the wife won't allow a SCUB and a T-Cart too! :angel:

hey wadeclavie,check out taylorcraft foundation.com there some tcraft for sale there and they can help you to.marc

Snert, who has the Swick conversion now? It sounds promising that someone is going to go somewhere with that design. I hope that whoever it is sees the potential for a good little all-around sportplane, and offers a wide variety of choices re: powerplant, weight,seating (1 vs 2), etc.
I'd love to have a clipwing T-Craft, in fact I'm kinda looking for one now with 85-100 non-electric horses up front. I think it'd be just the thing for fun flying and beginner aerobatics. Plus it should still be fairly STOL capable and yet cruise at 110 mph or so, and be sport pilot-legal to boot.

Rooster

redrooster said:
Snert said:
BTW, wadecalvin, the latest GA News has an ad for a T-Craft right in your back yard, Oregon. 1946 BC12D-85, $20K 541-562-5870

Rooster

Well folks, I'm Very happy to say, that one's gone!!! A neighbor/friend/customer just looked at it and bought it yesterday!!! :tup:
JH

I love the T-cart, very inexpensive airplane with respectable performance, do your homework and decide which is best, but the Taylorcraft should come out on top........

I ferried my old '46 BC 12-D up to Bozeman from Pocatello last weekend. It has had a couple owners since I bought it as a barely flyable project. I built new wings for it, and as the fabric was good just repainted everything else. After 125 hrs I sold it and made money. The other 2 owners made money. You will not make money or hold your own with most experimentals. I also put 650 hours on a Kitfox I had years ago, fun airplane with WAY better visibility then the T-Cart (I can't believe nobody mentioned the poor vis).
It was a pleasant flight, especially with the new A-65 and someone else buying the (small amount of) fuel! BUT I like my new Rans S-7 better, gets off and lands shorter, flys faster, and the vis is wonderfull. You will not find one of them for 20 K however. Buy a T-Craft, you can't go wrong for 20 K, they are sweethearts.

Or get one of these, but not for 20K

backyardh391b21.jpg

Back