• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Off-airport nose-dragger pointers

William Kahn

Hello Super-Cub members. I own a C-182 (with the large O-550 engine, extra fuel tanks, and TKS) and fly it, among other places, to the out-of-the-way. (Like the far north Canadian archipelago, Resolute, Pond Inlet, etc).

I only get to own one airplane, so this 182 is a sensible compromise between all my interests. I am looking for guidance on:

1) Learning how to land off-airport

2) Learning how the 29" AK Bushwheels for a 182 change what I can really do off airport

3) Learning a taxi technique I have heard about that uses full back elevator, high-ish power, and brakes to basically taxi in a "wheelie" to minimize nose-wheel damage and prop-strike likelihood.

I figured a bunch of SuperCub owner/operators might be a good place to ask for pointers on these matters.

Thanks.

Best, Bill

The 182 is a good airplane. Sell it and get a 180. The two words of warning with the 182. The firewall where the nose gear attaches is the weakest part of the plane. Keep that training wheel off the ground as long as possible. The next weakest point is the main gear gearbox. I have a friend with a 172 who fly's off airport all the time. He has done major gearbox repair two times in 5 years.

Off-airport is a vague term that can mean a lot of things. 206's and Cherokee 6's operate off-airport, but within conservative limits. Your biggest disadvantage is the heavy nose on the 182, especially with the bigger engine. Soft and/or rough ground will be unusable. A Landes fork, 3 blade prop, VG's, weight in the back all help, but it's still risky. Landing area evaluation is critical. You need to be very sure you and your airplane can handle the conditions before you try it. Check other threads in this forum for more advice and get qualified instruction.

William Kahn said:
3) Learning a taxi technique I have heard about that uses full back elevator, high-ish power, and brakes to basically taxi in a "wheelie" to minimize nose-wheel damage and prop-strike likelihood.

I wouldn't use higher power for taxing, tends to pick up sticks and rocks. Use only as much power as you need to move, use back stick as well. As with any Aircraft get to know it well, be familiar with the handling and never do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. A 182 flown well can be a VERY usefull machine.

182's can be a very good bushmachine and can operate out of some pretty short strips. You can't really compare them to SC's but you can't take 4 people, 400 litres of fuel in a SC.

Check with Greg Illes. He flies a 260hp Cherokee 235 off airport and is likely familiar with many of the same issues you will face.
JimC

Back