• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"Hot Rod" Cub debuts at Trade Show

Sounds interesting, but wouldn't that huge engine on the front with the super light weight fuselage make it a bit nose heavy?

Maybe when they redesigned it they moved the wing forward a bit to optimize the CG.

(Edited to reflect poster's inability to RTFA and see that it is just parts and not the entire fuselage that is carbon fiber). :stupid

Not to burst everyones bubble but its still a tube and fabric airplane based on the sport cub airframe with some carbon parts thrown in to shave 30lbs off a stock sport cub empty weight. Their claim of it weighing up to 300lbs less than other 180 cubs means its about 1000lbs empty. Wonder if it has the CC drooping ailerons? Anyone else notice it does not have tail-wheel steering springs and the 3" fwd gear.

I bet even the least experienced cub pilot could get that thing off the ground in less than 100' after a few tries.

Jason
N22KY

carbon cub

can you imagine the cost of repairing carbon fiber components in the field :eek: & if my memory is correct Jim Richmond poo poo'ed the Thrust line kit & the mukluk telegraph has it the thrust line is definitely installed in this hot rod cub. oh very nice fancy paint job too! wonder who gets sued over that one!

carboncub.jpg

Source: http://www.cubcrafters.com/news_item.aspx?id=100

So what does "high lift" wing equate to? VGs? Different airfoil? Extended wings? I don't see slots.

Also, are those Pawnee tail surfaces?

Carbon fiber wing? I bet it shows off at Valdez. Somebody at the show take some pictures. Is that AOSS? Is that a 220hp Lycoming under that Sport Cub cowl? Is it fuel injected or carbureted? Looks awesome, I'd love to fly it. Looks like someone did some neat design work. :wink:

I agree with Steve, way cool. Top of the wing looks really smooth to me. Doug had the TL on his last cub so its no surprise he has it on this one.

C'mon we all know its just the mountain goat..........

A wise engineer once told me "it's easy to make new but hard to make better"

I'll bet it's more "new" than "better". It does look slick though.

I looked the Sport Cub over real good at S&F. Doug did some neat things on that. It looks better and lighter to me. Nice to work with a clean sheet rather than adding to a 60 year old design. Lots of innovative things that I saw and I am sure there are even more if you had the cover off.

What's wrong with the left wingtip in that pic? It looks a little "not quite right," or wrinkled... ??? Am I seeing things?

Looks to me like the wingtip met a post---can't believe they would let a photo out like that though---must be a new speed mod :lol: sure looks slick otherwise

Lachlan said:
What's wrong with the left wingtip in that pic? It looks a little "not quite right," or wrinkled... ??? Am I seeing things?

I think you are just seeing reflection, optical illusion. Looks like standard square tips to me.

Buggs---I think you are right--Being the old fashioned geezer that I am--I was visualizing round tips :oops:

Carbon Cub

Just got back from the Airmen's show. The carbon cub weighed in at 1025lbs. according to the exhibitor. Original design was expected to be at 980lbs., but the gear was a little heavy, and a few other things. Overhead flap handle is nice. The Lycoming O-360 has a bunch of mods, but CC did not dyno it. A similar Lycoming dynoed at 220HP. Flap/aileron hinges are machined out of a billet, or so it looked. Nice fabric job-have to look twice to see if it's carbon or fabric. Beautiful airplane.

Buggs, I think it's a standard SportCub tail, which is very similar (if not identical, dimensionally, to the SuperCub.)

TJ; Doug Keller (sp?) and they used PolyFiber.

Here's some other shots. I got to see it several months ago when I was at the factory and it was going together. From what I was told; their head painter took it upon himself to do the flame job after hours. Let me tell you, the pictures don't do it justice! Very cool work!! Enjoy.

CA-YAK0060.jpg

IMG_5982Large1.jpg

CarbonCub.jpg

nkh

Just got back from the Airmans' show. The carbon cub is still rag and tube fuselage with fabric covered wings. Those tips are a "little droopy." Flaps have a longer chord than the ailerons. Carbon fiber shows up in the nose bowl, spinner, and various interior panels. She's got the new forward gear and the incorporated lifting tubes at the axles. You guys need to see the paint job in person, ooh lah lah. Lean in and take a sniff of the new plane smell, mmmmmm

Price tag, let's all guess. My estimation is we can fly one home for $219,995.00 American.

Since it's already up there, why don't they fly it at the Valdez competition next week and put the proverbial "money where their mouth is"? :wink: I'd love to see how it would do against Paul Claus' cub and the other 160HP cubs that always dominate.

Looks like the aluminum struts they use on Sport Cub. I would like to know more about the aluminum struts. How much weight saved over steel?

Christina Young said:
Since it's already up there, why don't they fly it at the Valdez competition next week and put the proverbial "money where their mouth is"? :wink: I'd love to see how it would do against Paul Claus' cub and the other 160HP cubs that always dominate.

I checked it out today. A lot of neat innovative stuff Incorporated into this plane.....but at the end of the day I have $100.00 that says Paul will spank it in his 50 year old 160 hp Piper Super Cub.

Crash

I talked to Jim R, he said it cruised at 96 or 97 most of the way up so it's not the quickest of the cubs. he is planning to take it to valdez next weekend. But before that, it's going to aero recip, guess there are a few bugs in it yet. That spinner sure is light. I'd think a constant speed MT prop would be just about perfect. No real plans to certify it yet, but did talk of a kit and a hot rod single place LSA. They did say they saved 22lbs per wing over a stock cub by going all aluminum.

The 220hp and 90 inch prop at 1,018 lbs you'd think would get it flying in a hurry.

I doubt this "Cub" was built and flown to Alaska to be showned-up. These reports of just over 1,000 lbs, over 200 ponies,..... swinging a 90" wheel.

Looks & sounds like a short-field performance machine to me. Might not be practical for bush flying right now, however all indications point towards this machine was built to win Valdez. One thing for sure....it will be interesting!

Crash said:
Christina Young said:

I checked it out today. A lot of neat innovative stuff Incorporated into this plane.....but at the end of the day I have $100.00 that says Paul will spank it in his 50 year old 160 hp Piper Super Cub.

Crash

Isn't the question -what can it do in the hands of a skilled pilot?

Well, if he's that positive about it, I think that Jim Richmond absolutely should enter it in the Valdez contest. It would be fantastic publicity for Cub Crafters if it were to win over those tried and true war horses... which absolutely spanked every other plane, including the much hyped Mountain Goat!

Of course... if it didn't win... well not so good for them! :eek:

So it is a fabric wing? I was talking to Scot Warren and I thought he said that Vera told him it was carbon. Sounds like a Sport Cub on steroids. Did Doug design a different suspension or use AOSS?

Back