• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ice fishin' April 18th....

RedEye

Side Lake , MN
100_2415.JPG

Went ice fishing yesterday, April 18th. What a great day it was. With great fishing and perfect weather and good company, one couldn't ask for more!

For those of you who have never experienced the likes of this you have no idea how much fun it is ! No real way to describe it !

Jerry Gaston said:
David you need to kick back and take it easy. You look too stressed in those pics. :wink:

Jerry, I plan to at the supercub.org booth at the trade show !!! We'll talk !!

behindpropellers said:
How much ice, David?
We are putting our dock in here on sunday!

Tim

28" of good ice yesterday !!! I'd be fishin' at least once more, but gotta head down sj's way for a turkey hunt this weekend !! Way fun yesterday.

SteveE said:
Where did you get those stc'd window shocks? :D

NAPA !! One time field approved sea plane door ! Lots of hoops to jump through, but worth it !

Steve,

I have purchased them at the local (NAPA), National Aircraft Parts Association stores. LOL

david jaranson said:
behindpropellers said:
How much ice, David?
We are putting our dock in here on sunday!

Tim

28" of good ice yesterday !!! I'd be fishin' at least once more, but gotta head down sj's way for a turkey hunt this weekend !! Way fun yesterday.

Another product of global warming!!!

Tim

David- the only thing better is if those were 10 pound lakers laying on the ice! Stinson 501C is having the floats put on today, and will be out for a test flight in the Duluth harbor on Monday. It won't be coming to home on Vermilion for a while, by the looks of the ice here.

superchamp said:
David- the only thing better is if those were 10 pound lakers laying on the ice!

Now if I could just find a good Lake Trout lake here in MN so as not to have to deal with all the border BS. May not even put the floats on mine this year with all the crap you gotta do to come back to your own country from Canada ! From the meeting we had last week, sounds like one wrong move or missing paper and they take your plane and lock you up with the rest of the bad guys !!! The terrorists are winning !!

What meeting? Actually, my experience crossing has been good, and am sending in my transponder waiver and round robin authorization tomorrow so I'm good to go as soon as the ice goes out. The US customs people don't smile, but other than that they haven't been a real problem. Its just important when reentering the US to have registration, pilots license, medical certificate, and passport. After you go through once or twice with the same guy, usually only looks at the pilots license since he has seen it all before. Northbound, Canadians are friendly as always and only want to see a DL or passport. Once you've done the crossing, it becomes second nature. I'm planning on flying up May 15 trip for lakers, and staying for the walleye opener on the 19th, and coming home on the on the 21st or so. Still have a Hudson Bay trip in the back of my mind for mid- August, and might have a chance to hook up with a group of planes flying to Alaska in early July. We'll see what the summer brings. Looks like you had too much fun yesterday. I need to get bushweels so I can head north and fish trout into mid April.

David,

Long lake north of Itasca SP and Blacksmith, SE of the park have trout. But they are rainbow trout. (I think) I was told there are lake trout in Blacksmith. Blacksmith is not far from my house.

Keith

Mukuda is all I know for trout on the US side in this area that aren't in the BW. There are some over by the Gunflint also, but I'm not too familiar with that area.

superchamp said:
Mukuda is all I know for trout on the US side in this area that aren't in the BW. There are some over by the Gunflint also, but I'm not too familiar with that area.

Been researching the Gunflint area. Need to find a spot to cache my 14' canoe. Several prospects just out of the BW that may work. Need to find out what they've got for fish in 'em !! Makuda just doesn't cut it for me ! Should've been up there with the Bushwheels checking things out this spring ! Too many irons in the fire right now. Might have to do some checking from the air when I get back from AK !!

Sure miss the days when crossing the border was the least of my worries when going fishing with the plane ! Frustrating to say the least !!!

Birch Lake (just east of Loon Lake) right alongside the Gunflint has BIG Rainbows and Splake. East end and down by the access, not in the middle. Long skinny lake outside the BWCA by the South Lake trail. The public access is canoe or light boat capable only, down a steep bank.

page 78 in the Gazetter B-5

On the Arrowhead trail check out Esther lake for Rainbows and Brookies, Chester lake for Browns (beware the Rainbow Smelt) and Highlander lake for Wallpikes. These lakes are clustered together near fire road 313. B-9 on page 79.

Good Pictures David Jaranson!

That ice, trees and fish remind me of my youth in Michigan! Once I would get into a batch of them, they would keep on biting. (Though my beloved Cub at the time had an .020 engine and a 28 inch wingspan and 1 ounce of fuel...)

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Those are some beautiful crappies. That bucket speaks volumes. I travel to MN now and then and have sampled some of that great crappie fishing. The last time I was there, we had a nice afternoon on the ice and for about 2 hrs, the smallest crappie was around 11", with many of them larger. And were they aggressive! Talk about fun. Something I'll never forget. I think it would be a hoot to fly in to do some ice fishing. Better not try it with my rental though. I think they'd frown on that!

Back