• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11 muffler

George

Huntsville, AL
Found a crack on the right end flange of my muffler. Looks like its been repaired a time or two so I'm opting for a shop OH muffler.

I look at Wag, AWI, and Univar and I'm a bit perplexed.

Wag .... list repairs for LH stack and muffler OEM 10757-00 $407.50
AWI .... list OH'd LH stack and muffler assy OEM 12232-00 ?
Univar .... list piper muffler/no stack PN -12232-subm $612.23

I am new to the PA-11. Are the left stack and muffler one-piece. Univar implies that they are not and the muffler can be purchased separately (to be welded?).

Somebody please explain the PA-11 exhaust system before I make a big mistake. I have not taken the shroud off ... yet.

George, the shops around here, and the only experience i have is with Wag, they use another place called Dawley, i believe youll find it in a tradeaplane, its in Wisconsin. Try calling them. The left stack is welded on most to keep out a chance of exhaust gas in the cabin, but you can always do this. This is just my opinion. doug

I had a -11 last year with all exhaust bad. Wag returned all parts as unrepairable and said they had no approval to build. Tail pipe, muffler, R/h & L/H stacks were all separate parts. I had them reproduced as owner directed by Knisley Welding here in CA. Did a great job but was not cheap. I could not find a single piece over the counter at that time.

Thanks for the experience guys.

AWI needs the core and no guarantee that they can repair it.
Univar ... the stack and muffler unit is $1200. daham!

It looks like I'm going to the welding shop. George

Dawley quoted $946 for "owner directed" replacement. It would have been my second repair in 2 months so I'm going for the whole enchilada. Shipping it off today. Thanks again for your experience.

Is that Univair price for new??? I talked to AWI recently and they wanted
1200 to overhaul my existing unit and you still do not beat the 50 hour AD inspection. If Univair is $1200 for new it is a deal... If you can figure out a way to use it, there is a non pma'ed system in the classifieds for $795.00
Very nice but not certified. Tony P.

http://www.flyoldplanes.com/ Click on products, go to the bottom of that page and click on more products. I know you are certified, I understand some people have these systems F.A. and are pleased with them. They advised me to send a rough drawing to meet the "owner produced part" rule. I believe the PA-11 system is around $1000.00 Jim

George, I really think you did the right thing. Make sure that if your muffler gets welded to the stack that its in the same rotation as your old one. That way your exhaust pipe is in the same position and your heat outlet is the same spot to fit your shroud. watch this real close before you start. doug ps Let us know how it turns out.

Dawley said that Wag does not use them. They had a good price and a good recommendation. I needed to send the old system to them as a go-by so the clocking on the muffler will be correct to the shroud.

FYI ... UNIVAR called me back on the exhaust system and said they have had problems with the bends not working for the PA-11, that it was primarily made for the PA-18 with a 90 or something like that ...I was a bit confused as I am still learning. They told me to call Clyde Smith for recommendations on a PA-11 exhaust system. Go figure.

When it comes to exhaust, the PA-11 is nearly an orphan in the Cub world.

George, sometimes to get the shrouds to fit the same the standoff washers on each end have to be made for an individual exhaust so things go back the same way. Remember 11s are the mother-father figures, everything else is the sibling. doug

Dawley called ... the original system is trash. They are trying to figure out what part they can use from the right stack to keep it certified.

I waited a week and heard nothing back from Dawley. I finally broke down and called. I was told the welder was on vacation.

So much for fast turn-around.

I got the system back on May 10. Looks good, fits good. Total both stacks and muffler $977 (includes shipping).

I recommend Dawley because they have a fair price, do good work, and are optimistic and will work through the problem, not turn you away ... just be patient and don't bug 'em once they get it.

My exhaust problems are solved for a long time. A good feeling for a PA-11 owner.

George

Back