• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flap Gap Seals

Its been discussed here, but in a word " YES " !!! Search 'gap seals' and you should get a bunch of good info. Maybe someone will post a link to that thread !

Hi Gary,

My plane (53 150hp) didn't have them on it when I bought it. I didn't know enough to know they were suppose to be there until I read the thread David mentioned. Pre-purchase expert supercub mechanic didn't know either, but that's another story. I just knew I didn't like the flaps at slow speeds and always slipped instead. After reading the thread I installed them. It made a big difference the feel at slow speeds with full flaps.

Tim

Merrill Field. Birchwood. If you're going up for the Airman's show you'll see lots of examples.

I can't remember any examples in NC, but you might try calling John Cansler at Twin Lakes (8A7): he and Bill Kyle seem to know where a lot of the Cubs are based in NC, and may know of one with flap gap seals.

Re: Where?

CptKelly said:
Where can I see a set installed on a Supercub?

Mike
100_0917.JPG

I'm finishing up an annual on my neighbor's Super Cub in Burlington, NC- you are welcome to stop by and take a look at these. E-mail me for contact info.

Re: flap gap seals

STMAWR14 said:
can you cover over the seals?

Suppose you could,but you would want to mount your flaps , then attatch the seals before covering to get the proper fit. Would clean things up a little !! and a lot less little screws to come loose !! :eek:

Gap seals

Though this is a Super Cub thread, on a C-180-185, aftermarket flap gap seals, are sold for those that want Bonanza cruise speeds. This starves the slot in the Fowler flaps, ruining an otherwise very light and pleasant feel with flaps down. Without total finesse, near stall the whole plane will drop in like a sack of bricks. Don't ever let anyone talk you into flap gap seals on a Cessna taildragger.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

gap seals

Bob We put them on Cessna Spray planes which have the same basic wing as a 180/185 and they seem to work fine. Pick up the speed a bit and I haven't noticed the "drop it in thing"
Dave

Well...

Well, I'm just wondering if the flap gap seals help out, why not just extend them, and make aileron and flap gap seals? Stands to reason if it helps the flaps, it might help out aileron response too? Comments?
Thanks for the photos.

Mike

ag-pilot,

I removed them from a 1976 C-185 several years after purchase. It had a turbotech turbocharger, autopilot and a big stack of radios, and thus was much heavier than my current '53 C-180.

By starving the throat from the BOTTOM (unlike the Cub flap seal) no air could flow up to keep the higher angle of attack flap from stalling - which it did at on tail low wheel landings, especially in rough air. Without the aftermarket gap seals, the 185 could then be landed a few knots slower, and with much more gracious arrival. I left the flap gap seals off until I sold the plane.

I suppose in an ag condition, with plenty of runway, and flying it on 5 knots faster, you wouldn't have the flap stalling, and the faster cruise would be beneficial.

That throat that opens between the wing and Fowler flap is there for a purpose on a Cessna wing. The Super Cub flap is a simple flap. Just my observation - your mileage may vary.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Seals

Hi Capt Kelly. Yes they do work on the ails. Need a bigger slot. On the order of 3/8".
Hi Bob. I can't speak to your Cessna. But the 90deg bottom false spar in the aileron area on the Cub ( 3 - 11 - 18 )flows more air through the slot than the sweep (S) in the flap area. That flow is what tends to kill the Cub ailerons when flying at high AOA. Hang some tufts in front of the slots, you'll be amazed. Jerry B.

Jerry,

Yup, I fully agree regarding the benefit of gap seals on the hinged flaps and control surfaces on the Super Cub.

Bob Breeden

Cptkelly

I had flap gap and aileron gap seals on my plane before I rebuilt the wings. I did reinstall the flap seals and put the aileron seals in the basement. I don't believe there was a noticeable increase of control with the aileron gap seals. I will admit the original wings were rigged poorly and I am sure that affected performance.

A few years ago I added VGs to my wings. If you want aileron control at slow speeds you should consider VGs.

Cub_Driver

Back