• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oil cooler flap

paul romine

indy
Cary,
Could you post a picture of the front cooler? So you have two oil coolers? I built a plenum that is about an inch deep to increase the air flow to my cooler. I must say that on my Top Cub I never see more than 175 oil temp in the summer and in the winter I just restrict the flow to the cooler with aluminum tape. I did look at the oil shutter that Van offers and it is a nice piece, but I hate the extra weight.
PR

I'll snap a couple of shots today and see if I can figure out how to post them. Bill Gates rarely calls me for help with his computer. :D

Paul

You and I seem to be on the same page as far as weight goes. I don't like adding anything that increases the weight either, but unfortunately I have had problems getting my C-170 up to temp in the winter and it would be nice to resolve that problem on my Cub, as I plan to go ski flying and fishing w/ Dave Jaranson in the winter. It is a pain to use tape and have to land to make adjustments.

Bill

I'm with you on adding weight. I have no starter, no interior, no extra anything. I wanted control of my oil temp on 90 degree days, climbing over mountains. I've never felt comfortable staring at an oil temp of 220 when there was nothing I could do about it but hope it didn't go any higher.

I am using Vans RV8 rear oil cooler design.The rear baffle
opening is about half the size of the cooler. Their baffle design is
focused on uniform cooling of the cylinders and a tight plenum thus
a cooler engine and oil. I will be adding washers between the oil cooler
and the baffle giving a gap to slide a damper plate in for winter ops
if needed.

Jon

180 Smith cub

jon said:
I am using Vans RV8 rear oil cooler design.The rear baffle
opening is about half the size of the cooler. Their baffle design is
focused on uniform cooling of the cylinders and a tight plenum thus
a cooler engine and oil. I will be adding washers between the oil cooler
and the baffle giving a gap to slide a damper plate in for winter ops
if needed.

Jon

180 Smith cub

Jon,
WHy not just fasten a plate to the back of the cooler?

Paul, back of cooler will work also, I just like the simple slide in and out
to adjust temp. and total removal in seconds in warmer weather the
sandwich damper provides.

Jon

Back