• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another Oscar Tango:: Can all C-140s be put on floats??

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
A friend from Anchor Point is buying a 0-235 (115 horse max) powered C-140. He was thinking about putting it on floats after he gets his rating with me this summer.

I have not seen the plane since it is out of state. Nor do I know a whole bunch about C-140s..

Can all C-140 have floats mounted on them or were there some with factory float kits and others without??

Isn't there some kind of JATO bottle setup for a C-140 on floats? Or was that the C-120 ? I remember one back in the late 70's around Lake Hood right after they put in the fingers but being a kid then didn't pay much attention to it, other than it smoked a lot taking off and made a funny sound.

Not every 140 can be put on floats. The TC says it must have a c-90 or greater. It must also have a float kit. Very few 140's ever had the float kit installed. The actual "kit" is not in existence anymore(cant go to Cessna for it). Unless you can find the parts off a wreck, the only other with way, to obtain the parts, is reverse engineer someones parts. You can also get the Cessna drawings for the parts.
There have been a few sets of 140 Edo 1400's for sale around Alaska the past few years. Floats Alaska may still have a set on consignment.
A V-brace is not required but i would consider it mandatory.
Matthew

I'll let the real experts chime in but I don't think the aft area of the C140 is very beefy. The one I fly has smoked rivets just from venturing on grass every now and again. The water landings ain't too kind to an airframe. Is Mr. Pierce in the house? Maybe he can chime in.

Back