• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Montana Vacation

btracy

FRIEND
Ohio
I have the wife talked into doing a flying vacation in Montana this spring. But
we have to stop in for a day of horse riding. I need some help on finding a ranch that we can fly to that offers hores rides for just one day. All the dude ranch places want a full week stay and think that there is only airports in Billings and Kallispell. I am not wanting to brand cattle. I will probally have to do that before I can leave Colorado with the plane and paying to do it would be even more ridulous than paying to work on Massy's airplane. So if anyone know where we can just go riding at it would be great. Even Wyoming might work.

Thanks Bill Tracy

How much experience do you or your wife have? I have one horse here that about anybody can ride and could find another but this is no dude ranch you would be on your after I helped you get saddled up and headed out. One advantage is it would be free and I have a runway right here.
Dave

run a muck, Roundup, Mt. Real ranch, could land a cub in many pastures. They have a neat restored cabin about five miles from their HQ, might see some deer, elk, antelope while there.

Dave, Where are you located at? We both have enough experience to get along with most horses. We don't need the dude ranch just a day of riding is all we are after. so you may be able to provide just what we need. We are looking at the last week of May. I will have to see what the wife thinks of it.
Bill

Go to Chico Hot Springs Resort. Do not pass, GO!! The Flying Y airstrip is a private strip a few miles away, but the resort will pick up and deliver you to your plane for $10 round trip. Duane Hodgkinson is the owner of the Flying Y, and he asks for a $15 dollar "donation" to use the strip and park there. Long strip--I think 6,000 plus.

The resort: Has horses at the resort, plus they offer trail rides in Yellowstone NP on a day ride basis. They run you into the park in a van, meet the wrangler, and ride, then bus you home.

The resort, see http://www.chicohotsprings.com/ is a great little resort, with accomodations ranging in price from $49 a night (bathroom down the hall) to a couple hundred a night. They have cabins, etc. All rooms give you access to the hot springs, which are great. The place has a classic Montana saloon, frequented by a lot of locals as well as the guests.

It is truly a great place to spend a night or four.

One admonition, however, and I've saved the best for last: Chico has one of the best restaurants in the west. If you plan to stay there, definitely plan to have dinner there at least one night, BUT, make a reservation for dinner. The dining room isn't huge, and it books up fast.

Don't even think about missing Chico. Every time I go through that part of the world, I stay there, and it's always been a great experience.

They also have connections with fish guides if you want to slip out to snag a trout.

MTV

Bill I live about 12 miles SW of Miles City I 94 is my south border and The Yellowstone is on the north. If you see Exit 126 on a atlas its right there & you would have quite a bit of room to ride. My old gelding is about 12 and hasn't bucked in several years even if he only gets rode a few times a year. I would have to fine another good solid horse for you but that should be easy.
Dave

Dave, we will very likely be in the vicinity of Miles City as we go thru to where ever we end up at. Looks like we may need more that a week. I had all ready looked at stopping by Spotted Bear. If there is horses there we will be there longer than planned.
Bill

btracy said:
paying to do it would be even more ridulous than paying to work on Massy's airplane.
Bill, I can probably round up some cattle here that you could brand for $100 a piece.

Bill,
Here are your options:
Option 1 - I really don't want to take my wife along and hope this will be the last time.
Your plan -
1. Skip the horses.
2. Pack some peanut butter and bagels for breakfast, lunch, and dinner like the Barnstomer Bijou Boys do.
3. Make your wife sleep on the couch in the FBO lounge or take a tent like the BB Boys do.

Option 2 - I want this to be a great trip for my wife so she will go on another flying trip with me.
Your plan -
1. Take Dave up on his offer to ride his horses.
2. Take Mike's advice and spend the night at Chico Hot Springs AND,
3. Take your wife to dinner there. She will LOVE it. I took my wife there when we had our 180. She loved that trip and the highlight was our stay at Chico Hot Springs. Now she will go with me on flying trips.

My advice: Option 2

Tom

Check out riding in St. Mary's Lake Glacier Natl Park....greatest scenery in the state. Check out Bed and Breakfast with John and Dianne Wickens (406) 462 5618. John and Dianne are ranchers which host rides and ranch based activities out of Winifred (9S7). GREAT FOLKS. May will be beautiful time to be in Montana...looks like Ireland that time of year...usually. Ralph

Also check out Double Arrows Ranch in Seeley Lake, MT...great people and the airport is right there. If you want to camp, I'd be more than happy to let ya camp here on my place, although our horses are draft horses, and usually about that time of year, I'm working loooooong days, so may not get to spend much time visiting. :wink:
JH

If you stop at Chico for the night you can land right on the hwy going up to the lodge . Plenty long and can tie down right there. There used to be an aircraft sign right by the lodge. You could call to confirm.

PA11 Pilot,

NO, you can no longer legally land on the road. They had a couple of bad accidents there, followed by lawsuits, so the resort will no longer support flight ops off the road, and by Montana law, you have to have the concurrance of the locals to operate on a highway.

You land there with an airplane on the road, and you will be persona non grata, believe me.

That said, the Flying Y is a great airport just a few miles away and the resort will send a van for you.

Too bad some guy in a twin screwed it up for everyone else , but that's the way it works, I guess. It was, as you described it, a cool deal while it lasted.

MTV

I'd rather pay 'em ten bucks to let me land there than pay $10 for a van ride. MTV is correct that you won't be well-received if you land there, but I still believe you have the right unless local law enforcement says you can't land there.

I can't see how they could be held liable for some guy trying a go-around on a 90 degree day in his 172 with four people aboard. Between that one and the twin, the resort is a little airplane-shy now. Maybe someone needs to approach them about a big fly-in at the resort.

Here in Montana, we currently have legislation introduced that will eliminate private property owner liability when someone lands on their property assuming they haven't intentionally made it unsafe by doing something like dig a trench across the area. The legislation has been well-received on both sides of the aisle, other than the Trial Lawyer Association (big surprise). It should see the governor's signature this session.

I agree with MTV. Two and a half years ago my wife and I stopped a Chico and had a great dinner. The road was closed to aircraft as MTV says. Too bad. Duane Hodgkinson at the Flying Y airstrip gave my wife and I an air tour of the surrounding mountains in his early straight tail 182 on auto gas. He must be in his 80s but a great guy to talk to. His runway is the old Gardiner-Livingston railroad bed. I think he also has some connection to a horse ranch operation there, not sure.
If you like fishing, go with Doc Knoll in Pray, MT just across the Yellowstone river from the Flying Y.
I wanted to stop there last summer when I was flying my Cub but fires and TFRs in the area kept me away. Duane only asked that I call him on the phone before flying in.

MTV,
Here is the exact Montana law.

62-1-204 Lawfulness of flight and Landings

Line 3
Aircraft landings and takeoffs from public roads in this state are lawful if proper safety precautions , as approved by the governing jurisdiction of the roads, are taken prior to landing are takeoff, except as otherwise provided in this section. However, the local governing jurisdiction may not
incur liability as a result of an approval under this subsection.

I can tell you that once in awhile when I'm out in the middle of nowhere like Sand Springs Mt. that I land on the hwy and pull up to the pump.

I also did a little checking with the BLM acouple years ago and found out that you can land on any two track road on BLM as long as its not closed

PA 11,

Yes, I understand the statute. I've been led to believe, by competent authority, however, that if a local tells local law enforcement that they don't want aircraft landing on a road NEAR their property, the assumption is that it is then prohibited, since you can't meet the test of having taken proper precautions.

The Chico Resort used to go out and guard the road for landing airplanes, and had a radio. That is no longer available, and the Resort specifically says they do not want aircraft landing there. In any case, where you gonna park?? Not in their lot, they say.

As to accidents not being the Resort's fault, that is a naive statement, and shows a lack of understanding of our judicial system. The Resort used to "facilitate" aircraft landing on the road, and the resort was the reason the airplane was there. That is plenty enough liability.

These folks are not hostile at all, just protecting themselves. I wrote an article about the Resort a while back, and they were very accomodating, but they were very clear that they would be happy to have pilots stay with them, but only if they land somewhere else, like the Flying Y.

MTV

What is the best way to see Glacier Park? Rent a car at Kalispell or is there better options?
Bill

Tom, you and Steve need to get some horses for the Bijou Lodge. Then I wouldn't have to travel so far.
Bill

MTV is right that the lodge assumed some liability and the main reason is because they "facilitated" the process. If they just left well-enough alone, they wouldn't have gotten themselves into a bind. They need to allow us to take responsibility for our own actions.

The new legislation will relieve property owners of this liability.

btracy said:
What is the best way to see Glacier Park? Rent a car at Kalispell or is there better options?
Bill
Bill, you would probably be best off with that... and you can drive the car to McDonald Lake Lodge and catch one of the park busses for the Going to the Sun Highway tour... that way all you have to do is sit back and enjoy! There's the Aero Inn and a new motel going up right on the East side of the runway at Kalispell City (S27).
JH

I would suggest that anyone flying in the area of the Flying Y airstrip on the Yellowstone land and visit Duane. He has been thru hell trying to save his airstrip because some low shoe "out of state"mongrel moved in and built a house right off the end of his runway and then tried to close him down. Alot of pilots and neighbors gave him cash to fight the guy and he finally won. The airstrip is really an asset in that area and a great place to stop and buy fuel. Duane is most accommodating

There was a question about the "best" way to see Glacier Park. My neighbor has a sister in Kalispell. While visiting her last summer she treated him to a flight seeing tour of the park. As I understand; there are a select few who have permits for these tours. The slide show he shared with me was fantastic. My wife and I toured the park in our 65 corvette many years ago_Our trip was great. With the top down on the old vette it was really fun, however as us who are fortunate to see the world from above ;nothing can compare. If you are interested I can get more info. I believe the tour operator works out of Kalispell----Geezer----Dan

My neighbor stopped for a visit this afternoon. Says the tour was flown out of Polson ,Mt. on the south end of the lake.

Check out Bed and Breakfast with John and Dianne Wickens (406) 462 5618. John and Dianne are ranchers which host rides and ranch based activities out of Winifred (9S7).

Ralph Do you know what the road is like at the Wickens? Is there power lines? How about the directions to get there. I talked to Dianne and she wasn't very specific on the milages. I don't wnat to land at each mailbox just to read the name.

Jerry Gaston said:
I would suggest that anyone flying in the area of the Flying Y airstrip on the Yellowstone land and visit Duane. He has been thru hell trying to save his airstrip because some low shoe "out of state"mongrel moved in and built a house right off the end of his runway and then tried to close him down. Alot of pilots and neighbors gave him cash to fight the guy and he finally won. The airstrip is really an asset in that area and a great place to stop and buy fuel. Duane is most accommodating

There was a great article about this situation a while ago...one of the more memorable quotes from Duane was, "I cannot be held responsible for other people's stupidity." BTW, I'm pretty sure he's got the place up for sale (the airport, that is).

The FLying Y is up for sale--strip, land, house and hangars. I sure hope someone keeps it as an airport, but I wouldn't bet on it.

MTV

Back