• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bones????

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
Checking out a sand bar the other day I noticed what I thought was a turtle shell turned up side down in the shallow water. I picked it up and it was the top a a human skull. It must have washed down from somewhere up the river. It appears to be old, brownish in color, it is the frontal bone and the two sides. My question is what is the ethical thing to do. Thanks Mark

My first thought was a candy dish, but on second thought possibly a call to your local law enforcement provider would be in order. T. Parsons :eek:

I personally think that a candy dish would be very crass! Do you have a good pen and pencil holder?

skull

If the skull fragment appears to be very old and there is a university, state college, etc. in your area, I would recommend that you call the Anthropology Dept. (or any of the medical or science depts.) You may have made an important discovery.

Clyde and Susan said:
No it couldn't be... They found Hoffa in a Chicago hospital in a maternity ward organizing labor. ...Clyde

That's great to Hear! Glad to see a good union man organizing in the afterlife. I hope to be as lucky!

Since everyone is in the smart ass mode, I'll suggest CSI Las Vegas.
Grissom's a pretty sharp cat. :D

But seriously, if you want something done or looked into, call the U.S. Marshalls office. Go to the top, avoid the rest.

If that was your skull, where would you want it to be- in some police evidence locker or museum store-room, or on display on some cool guy's mantelpiece? know where I'd rather be...
(organizing labor-- good one!!)

Rooster

I know people who have found Buffalo skulls up here in the Brazos river bank but a human skull is a first. I think I would have someone check it out and see if it is an Indian skull. Find lots of points and stuff around here but never in the river. Had a friend who found two sets of antlers locked together.

If it were my head I would want to be on some cool guys mantle. However if it were not as old as we are assuming some family may be wondering where their daughter or son is. Not to be a buzz kill but The Ethical thing to do is take a picture for yourself and turn the skull over to authorities. None of us can tell you how old it is so leave that to the experts. I think we would all like to see it so be sure to take a picture.

Probably best to have the authorities have a go at it. Remains are often hard to date by appearance as they can weather quickly.

They have the stuff to quickly determine whether it is an item of interest from a criminal and/or missing person perspective or simply an anthropologically interesting artifact of note.

The downside is you'll likely lose it. The upside is that if it is crime related or belongs to someone people are worried about it might help bring some answers.

So, tune in next week on "Supercub CSI"!

PUT IT BACK

I hate it when I loose my head....

I think the rest has been covered

11502778084519b8270a2c9.gif

Bury it ....

Since that skull once belonged to a live person, the respectful thing to do is to bury it back where you found it. One should consider, what if that skull belonged to an ancestor, or to a loved one.....

Mike

Bring it to the next fly-in...it can become the Supercub.org Bonehead award for the pilot who does or says the dumbest thing at each fly-in. The current award holder will be responsible for returning and passing along the award at the next planned fly-in.

Bones

You should tell the cops about this as soon as possible. they will want you to show them the sight were it was found. Could be its not as old as you think and somewhere up stream is the rest of the story.
Could be a important part of a missing/murdered type person.

You might be withholding evidence of a crime scene ?

That's a good point. I know a cop who lives on the airfield where I have my plane. I'll start by asking him. Thanks

Last year while we were walking around in the Utah canyonlands I picked up some interesting rocks and artifacts. I asked a local what the different minerals were. He responded That each item was "Leverite" I didn't understand and asked again. He again told me" Leverite"........." Leave er right there!!!! " I got the message. Rick :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rick that's a good thought. Take a picture and walk away. If it had been a grave I would have never moved a thing. The skull top was in 3 inches of water and you never know when the Brazos will start roaring bank to bank. in one hour the water could rise 3 or 4 more inches and the skull would have tumbled on down stream. I don't really care to keep it, however, I did remove it. I am showing it to a policeman that stays on the grass strip. I'll see what he suggests. I will let everyone know what he says. teeweed

teeweed said:
Checking out a sand bar the other day I noticed what I thought was a turtle shell turned up side down in the shallow water. I picked it up and it was the top a a human skull. It must have washed down from somewhere up the river. It appears to be old, brownish in color, it is the frontal bone and the two sides. My question is what is the ethical thing to do. Thanks Mark

This wasn't a joke???????????

Back