• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How Do You Handle a Restart

Roger Peterson

Sweeny, Texas
Restart.jpeg

Restart

I have seen this pict before and wonder if i would have the guts to get
out there and pull that prop,I would have to be high enough and
another pilot in the back :eek: :eek: i guess if you love your cub you will

Great Pic. That's what I would have to do since I don't have any electricity in my 11.I think I would use the elevation and time to find a suitable place to set her down.

I had a engine drink a load of carb ice and water and quit while doing stalls years ago. I pushed over and got the prop turning with the wind blast for a restart, wouldn't that have worked for this fella.. I am guessing since the picture was taken, it was more of a stunt than necessary procedure.

Steve
Ks.

'The Hollywood Hawks' use to do it as a skit in airshows. Part of the act (or maybe not :lol: ) was the guy up front screaming "HOLD THE BREAK! HOLD THE BREAK!" :lol:

Good pic Roger!

nkh

Restart

Flynlow never had to restart by pointing nose down using blast of air
and hope i never do ,i have herd the c90 and 85 hp doesn't windmill
but the 0200 does is this true,witch engine do you have ?

It is my understanding that a metal prop will start windmilling easier than a wood prop.

Many years ago, My sister's Pitts had a battery and starter with no alternator. It was common practice for me to hand start the airplane for the first flight of the day and save the battery for the hot starts later in the day. One day I took the starter and battery out to save weight for some upcoming contests. I forgot to tell her. Oops! Well the engine choked off on a tail slide and the prop stopped. When she got back on the ground. She was telling me about it and said she just pressed the starter button and it started right up. I walked her over to my tool bench and said "You mean that starter" If looks could kill.

Fireball III,
A C-90 will windmill just fine. It only stops rotating when you slow down to just above stall. And, then the prop will usually stand "straight up" do to air pressure against it. So . . if your terrain is unknown & the landing is "unplanned" that prop might find some things. Have done -2- unplanned with a C-90 PA-18. All worked out, but don't want to do any more.
You will find more comments & stories on the same photo in "TALES OF THE PA-18". , under subject: Photo-Real or Fake. Larry Ciszak

Fireball, I was in a Skyhawk with 0320. I have stopped the prop before to play glider pilot but you have to just about slow to a stall to get it stopped. The prop would start to windmill at about 100 mph.

Steve
ks

howdy all,my greatest fear is a restart my t-craft is non eletric tell me if you can get the prop windmilling can you restart if you put the mag on the right side or do i just pucker up and try to make it to safety thanks marc

Judging by the background in the photo he didn't need to get out there and hand prop it he had all kinds of landing areas. This has got to be Hollywood.

thanks

Thanks guys i am so happy i don't have to climb out to pull prop. :lol: :lol: :lol: Just hope i am high enought if it ever happens.

Back