• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Toe Brakes

We have at least three newly built Super Cubs on the field, Anoka County, ANE. All use Husky rudder and brake pedals. The problem I see with them is that some leg room is lost as the top of the toe brake must be adjusted to avoid hitting the firewall. Huskies have wedge shaped cut outs in the firwall that allow the toe brake to move forward past the normal firewall line. My rough calculation is that installing Husky toe brakes in a Super Cub will result in about 1.25 inches of lost leg room.

Anyone have a schematic for reinstalling the toe brakes in a Tango cub?

Re-installing? After someone went to the trouble to put good brake pedals in there?

We have done this in about ten threads, but I promise you, if you get acclimated to heel brakes in a Cub, then fly a "Tango" toe-equipped one, you will have no doubt about the folly of toe brakes in a Cub. They work fine in other aircraft, but the Cub has a different "feel" with all that linkage tied to the rudder - not to mention the danger of firewall contact.

Don't do it.

bob turner said:
Re-installing? After someone went to the trouble to put good brake pedals in there?

We have done this in about ten threads, but I promise you, if you get acclimated to heel brakes in a Cub, then fly a "Tango" toe-equipped one, you will have no doubt about the folly of toe brakes in a Cub. They work fine in other aircraft, but the Cub has a different "feel" with all that linkage tied to the rudder - not to mention the danger of firewall contact.

Don't do it.

:lol: Couldn't agree more....but the guy wants them back in his Tango Cub (removed for an interior redo--it has never had heel brakes). :-?

I Own 159T and I guess its just what you get used to but I love my toe brakes. I must confess I've never spent much time with heel brakes. It seems to me that you can use differential braking and rudder better with toe brakes. Your right about all the linkage crap tango cubs have very stiff rudder action. Oh yeah, there completely impossible to use from the back seat! :lol:

I think heel brakes are far more controllable. But then, most of my time is with heel brakes. I only have a few hundred hours with toe brakes. Methinks its mostly what you get used to...........
JimC

It's the rear brakes I need to re-install. Can I impose upon anyone for some digital pics of the brakes from a bunch of different angles? Working from those I can probably re-install without a prob. :p

If you are still having problems by Sunday, maybe I can help. We have a stock Tango cub here, but I am heading out of town.

I have only about 4000 hours with heel brakes, all the rest are in toe-brake aircraft. I love toe brakes, but in a Cub, they are awful! The Decathlon has wonderful toe brakes, but not usable from the rear, where the instructor might need them. Same with the tango Cub. The converted Pacers also have the firewall problem - be very careful first time out in a Piper with toe brakes, lest you find yourself in real trouble.

Bob, that is very kind of you.

The only problem I have ever had with heel brakes is getting sandals (I know, I know...) or my LL Bean mocs jammed under them. Overeasyguy has a very humiliating bit of video of me getting my right heel jammed under the brake whilst landing at his strip... :oops:

I've got some pictures as well...No Great pictures.... but they'll be better then nothing..:)
I'll try to post them tonight.
DaveG

:( No joy here......
I must have deleted them.
Sorry to get your hopes up...Maybe someone else will come through.
L8R
DaveG

No worries, mate. Points awarded for good old college tries!

Back