• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gar-Aero Tundra Tires are Back!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Alaska Tundra Tires
formerly Gar-Aero or Gar-Aero

Press Release - 12/2006
Gar Aero Tundra Tires is now under new ownership. Floats Alaska LLC is now manufacturing and distributing the same proven products and keeping the costs of high floatation Alaskan Bush tires for your aircraft down under the name Alaska Tundra Tires. This versatile and proven product is in widespread use over a good portion of the globe.

Floats Alaska has purchased the assets of the Gar Aero or Gra Aero tundra tire business from Gary Stevenson and we are spooling up to provide wheel adaptors tires and tail wheel kits. We have already transferred the STC to our name, added the 6 to 10 inch adaptors to our PMA and have ordered the first batch. Furthermore we have gotten an FAA approved process in plac for Shaving the 29” tires which will hopefully added to the STC sometime this spring. They are field approvable for now. We have a few of the wide tail wheel fork and tire kits in stock for 3200 and 3400 Scott tail wheels.

http://www.garaero.com

This sounds good. I am running Goodyear 26" and I land everywhere the planes with the 31" tires land except the marshy areas.
I hope you try to keep the price close to the Goodyears going price.
The Goodyear Co. has been around and proven a long time.
I myself refuse to pay $3500.00 for 31" ABW, when you can buy Goodyears for around $750.00 Thats $2750.00 I could spend on more important things.
I will probly get allot of flyers on this site all stired up.
Just remember Goodyear, - J-3 to jumbo jets - Daytona , Indy the world land speed record and much much more. The names has been proven.

Carey Gray
There is no Super Cub in the whole wide world that can fly, T.O. and land as slow, and as short as yours.

TJ
The Gar-Aero STC was for 10X6 not an 8.50X6 tire. Shaved 4 ply 29X10 are all over the state and field approval should not be that big a deal. The 4 ply shaved is much lighter than the 10 ply unshaved. I think the 31" Bushwheels are and will remain the hot set up on lighter aircraft like cubs, but for the heavy iron that can and do put allot of strain on the sidewall, land at faster speeds and generally see more improved strips the Gar-Aero 29" will remain on the top of the list. Don't try and run the Gar-Aero's at a low preasure as that is were most folks get into trouble. I have heard talk of Mr. Duncan developing a stiffer side wall 29" Bushwheel for the 180/185/206 class of craft, but I have been unable to confirm that we will see it anytime soon.

from release........... said:
Our tail wheel is not STC approved (yet) but is readily field approvable

question: I thought once someone goes through the hoops to get an STC(ABW), that the feds are very reluctaint to issue a feild aproval for a like mod.... or so was how I understood it.....

whats your experiance? thoughts?

Mike:
Different tail wheel all together. The Gar-Aero is thinner and has tread, the ABW is a "baby bushwheel".

gar-aero

I thought the original stc was for the 8:50 X 10" and the 29 X 10"
there is no 6" gar-aero anything... Why anyone would put those 10ply, hard as a rock, weigh a ton, POS tires on anything flying is beyond me...
The 3 or 4ply 29" shaved tires are nice and so are the 8:50 X 10's for that matter... If you are landing on surfaces that will tear up a bushwheel, it makes much more sense to run a cheaper to replace gar-aero. I understand that the Found Aircraft did it's FAR 23 stress tests with a gar-aero tailwheel, and that you can use that (data) for getting your field approval...

Re: gar-aero

nanook said:
... Why anyone would put those 10ply, hard as a rock, weigh a ton, POS tires on anything flying is beyond me...

My spray planes work great with them nanook. (I took the liberty of emphazising the "anything flying" ) I have three sets, for two aircraft and swap and recap them every two years.
But I do get your point for "almost everything" I tried them on a cub one time and they are real severe on gear.

Do you guys know if these 10 inch adapters will fit on any 6 inch wheel. Those look like a cheap way out. I've always wanted 31" Bush wheels, but couldn't bring myself to get up $3500

Tim

It's not listed on the website, but I emailed & asked- the GarAero 3200 t/w kit is $550. Fork, tire, tube, wheel spacer & bolts, axle. Comparable kit from ABW is about a thou.
Replacement 11 X 5 X 4 tire for ABW is $350, not sure on cost for 400 X 4 GarAero replacements.

Rooster

The original Gar-Aero STC was for 8:50x10, 6 ply tires only.
The confusion was caused by the installation instruction sheet. 29" tires were mentioned and a pic was enclosed.

Gar-Aero.jpg

EDIT:
Sorry folks, to small. I'll try again!

Can I start telling people that my cub has Alaska Tundra Tires now?
Sounds way cooler than Gar-Aeros. :D

Carey Gray
So You got rid of those garbage what tires for Alaska what the (truck) kind of tires. I just don't get it. Remember when we went everywhere on Goodyear 26sss. For that matter, Remember when are for fathers went everywhere on 8.50s, 74" props, and no helmets, no shoulder restaints, no VGs, no starters, no generators, No batteries, and damastic twist barrels.
Those were the days my fiend, we thought theyed never end. We sing and dance forever and a day. (Sweet Judy Blue Eyes)
And I was at your place today with my Pitts just to get my spinner polished. I herd it was free.
God that Whiskey takes me back.

Well CPT., I do remember going everywhere on Goodyears. I just happened to have a set of adapters, so going with 29X11X10s was as cheap as buying more Goodyears. In a weak moment I sold my old 26s that still looked new after years of use.
Besides, if my tires weren't just a little bit bigger than yours I wouldn't have an excuse for my cub being slower than yours. I think the Gars work great for most everything I do. The Goodyears are fine too.
Whiskey,huh.

Back