• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

landing gear help

eslboat

Northern Michigan
I am looking at a set of 18 gear for my 12 project but they have 1 1/4 inch axles. I want to use the cleveland wheels and brakes I currently have which are 1 1/2. How hard is it and is it legal on a certified aircraft to change out the axles? Can I weld a sleeve over the 1 1/4 ?Thanks in advance for any opinions on this.

Erik

Easiest way is to just use a set of the 1-1/2 flange bushings that are designed to fit 1-1/2 rim bearings onto a 1-1/4 axle.

Since you are in the "Experimental" forum you can do as you please.
As for "Certified" thats easy too. You can purchase 1 1/2" axle and graft them in, but you'll be ahead of the game to just purchase a new new set from Airframe Inc. All new, no corrosion, not bent, certified, comes with the STC and already haves the heavy duty mods incorperated.

Very simple, Very easy..

Scott....

Stoddards sells an adaptor to turn 1.25 into 1.5. I think they are about 50.00 per set.

Thanks , I will call Stoddards today. I can purchase a set of used 18 gear for about 1/4 the price of new so just trying to save a few bucks but also be legal and safe.
Jim I have not forgot about the field approval you wanted I just haven't seen my A&P since before x-mas. I'll get it to you asap.

Back