• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

BEFORE CUBS:

Cajun Joe

GONE WEST
LS86 or Hammond, LA
BEFORE CUBS: MOTHER NATURE

Wolf.jpg

After Cubs:
Photosmart

JL

Guess that fox found out he was just a little lower on the food chain than the eagle. The magpie got the hell outa there fast. Awesome photo.

If that eagle can lift it, then he can drop it. If the fox don't survive the sudden stop then hits dinner time for the eagle! (I'd have to see it to believe it)

I never thought a Great Blue Heron could catch and try to eat a 3 pound
Rainbow trout either, but I saw one try to eat one out of my pond.
And by the way Blue Herons are greasy and not good to eat.

Tim

Ha! :lol:

We had a Blue Heron at our pond for years...His name was Otis....We just let him get fat on the stocked pond.....It was overrun with catfish.

I work on the flight mechanics and biomechanics of an extinct flying reptile that had a 36 foot wingspan, a 10 foot long neck, and an 8 foot long head -- can you imagine having one of those mad at you? Even if they were toothless fish eaters......
JimC

Holy Smokes, JimC: You must have been a student of the esteemed Dr. John McMasters, the leading PaleoOrnithologist.... :D

Thanks. cubscout

Hi, Cubscout. No, I'm not a student of John's, though he and I are old friends (in both senses of the word old :). I like and respect John, so recently invited him to participate in a National Geographic project that I was putting together, and we enjoyed visiting during the meetings for that project. John and I tend to agree closely on pterosaur aerodynamics and flight mechanics, but not on their morphology. Paul MacCready's take on pterosaurs is more similar to mine than John's is.

John strongly believes that they all had a very broad wing attaching to the ankle and consequently, a relatively low aspect ratio that was best suited for convective lift. Interestingly enough, there's no unambiguous evidence in the fossil record to support that configuration, so his preference is a bit surprising because convective lift is strongest inland, and of the hundreds of species presently known, only a very few were inland feeders -- the overwhelmingly vast majority were marine feeders where convection is weak. A high aspect ratio similar to that of an albatross or frigate bird was more suitable for extracting lift from wave lee shear, dynamic soaring, and the other energy processes available far at sea.

And since none of the preserved pterosaur wing membranes have the trailing edge of the membrane in the vicinity of the elbow located more than 40% of the length of the humerus behind the elbow, it appears that most (if not all) species did indeed have the narrow wing and higher aspect ratio. As an aside, the two types that I spend most of my time on were both inland freshwater feeders that spent most of their time about 200 miles from the nearest seaway. Those two types have been found from the Big Bend country of Southwest Texas north to Alberta far from the shore of the Western Interior Seaway, and the fossil evidence gleaned from their remains strongly implies (but does not prove) that they did not have a wing/hindlimb connection of any sort. They were high aspect ratio types (about 16.5 to 17.1) with wings suited for extracting lift from cloud streets, microturbulence, and the rolls along the lee side of trees and lake banks on the windward side of lakes.

I had used this photo on a punning site for a caption contest.

Here are the results:

This one has gone dead and I'll announce a winner tomorrow evening.

Remember if you flock with the fox you plague.

Hair raising isn't it?

Caption Contest #106

GR

The photo for CC #106 is now on the PUNY site under the second
generation
CC files, CC #106 Lunch

How to play the game???

1. - Look at the photo.
2. - Think like a punster
3. - Submit your own punny caption(s) for the photo at the
bottom of
the list as it builds.
4. - Feel free to submit further captions as the spirt moves you.
5. - Await word from the contest host when/if the contest draws
to a
close.
6. - If you are declared the winner, you will be
expected/honored to
post the next caption candidate photo and host/judge the contest.

I'll let this one run until until the entries dry up and give a
day's
notice.

GaryR starter.

Lunching pad?

A fur bearing eagle?

GR
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2 birdies under paw.

Battle of the Caucasus

Alex
===========

On the 18th hole, Fox was aiming for a Birdie, but Scored a Eagle.
Sadly he hasn't been Seen at the "19th Hole" Bar in the Club House
after this shot.

Mike
I've been playing Golf Computer games.. Puny + Fore = F-Riddle 100
===============
Now that's what hide call a "faux pass"

Houston, the eagle has landed it.

Talon scout

What the fox...?

Looks like that eagle has a fur piece to fly before he gets home.

Gary Hallock
==========
Is that a stolen fox? or a Fox Stole?

Wrap-tor

Bait and Swish

Sorry, only one carrion per person.

Damn, hit another fox, I've GOT to get my eyes checked.

Sandy Claws!

Bradley
===========

I've heard these are also available in kit form

Fair and balanced? Yeah, right!

And she sticks the landing!

One swell foop!

Gary Hallock
gary@...

==================
That bird is an eagle-opportunity hunter.

And he demands his eagle rights.

If that eagle said grace before attacking that other animal, it
would
be a bird of pray.

Jim Ertner
=================

It was cold enough to want a fur n ass.

Hide and seek.

GR
=============
Visiting proctologists don't have much time for ceremony.

Well what a carry off! [Very English joke relates to a series
of very English humour large screen films - 'Carry On...' eg
Carry on up the Khyber [scene of Brit military failure, but also
rhyming slang - Khyber Pass]]

Are you sure this is how they do hang-gliding?

Buzz Off, Buzzard.

A brush with death [In Fox hunting the tail is known as the brush]

Joseph Harris

Back