• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Cub and External Loads

BrentBostwick

Seattle, WA
I am interested in occasionally carrying external loads on my Smith Cub aircraft and am wondering 1) if anyone has done this before successfully (The type of load I am considering) and 2) how to go about the legality of it.

Specifically two 30# mountain bikes. With two people and gear it appears they will not fit inside.

Thanks

Brent

Brent Bostwick said:
I am interested in occasionally carrying external loads on my Smith Cub aircraft and am wondering 1) if anyone has done this before successfully (The type of load I am considering) and 2) how to go about the legality of it.

Specifically two 30# mountain bikes. With two people and gear it appears they will not fit inside.

Thanks

Brent

Ever thought of a belly pod?

Attlee Dodge sells a lumber rack that is designed for cubs. It took a field approval to be legale. To Carry an external load I had to have a restricted sine vitiable, could not carry passengers or fly over a populated area.

I do not know the rules on an experimental but the lumber rack is not hard to make. it attaches to 6 points (3 on each side) on the lower longeron. you can weld tabs on or use clamps that attlee sells.

I have flown the lumber to build quite a few cabins. 14' 2"x10" are not a problem. 4'x8' plywood is no problem but make sure you screw the sheets together so they can not slide apart from the middle.

Have also carried 13' kayaks.

I must stress that securing things so they do not shift is a must. Pick nice weather with no bumps in the air and expect the plane to handle and preform different.

Also remember that the load must be secured so it can not slide forward or back or side to side

Mountain bikes fly fine on the struts just be sure not to pinch the aileron cable. My cubs have a have heavy black tape made by 3M to protect the struts.

Brent,

Where are you located? If you are in Alaska, go to the local FSDO, or send me a pm, and get the Alaska Region FAA policy on external load operations on fixed wing aircraft.

I have a copy electronic of that document.

It tells you step by step what you need to do to be legal carrying external loads.

If you're not in Alaska, good luck. Whether a plane is experimental category or not makes no difference in this regard.

MTV

Take the wheels off and call the frame a "back pack frame". No log entries required. :lol:

Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear that bikes do indeed fly. I would love to see a photo of how it has been done.

I will do a bit more research on the legal side through the local FAA office.

Thanks

Brent

I believe Montague makes a tandem folding mt. bike, I have used their bikes for years, good quality at a reasonable price. BUT, I have to fly solo
to do so, I carry mine on the overhead cross bar of my S-7 Courier (homebuilt), and can have it out and riding off in less then a couple minutes. XC flight with a bike will quickly spoil you, it is great not being grounded at the strip after touchdown, it makes getting to the resturant,gas station,and bars a LOT easier.

I believe Montague makes a tandem folding mt. bike, I have used their bikes for years, good quality at a reasonable price. BUT, I have to fly solo
to do so, I carry mine on the overhead cross bar of my S-7 Courier (homebuilt), and can have it out and riding off in less then a couple minutes. XC flight with a bike will quickly spoil you, it is great not being grounded at the strip after touchdown, it makes getting to the resturant,gas station,and bars a LOT easier.

Thanks guys... will do.

Any photos on cubs with external loads out there??? I might be able to learn something from how/where people are putting things.

Thanks

Brent

External load

Go to your FSDO, that's their job and I've found them to be very helpful even here in th Northeast! Alaska or not shouldn't matter, I've had two in the last few (w/in 10 years), along w/ Flight w/ doors removed etc. Call them and talk to them! Wayne

Back