• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Glue or not to glue?

C-YQK

Building up my wings,most parts are from D&E some Dakota and others.

Can"t decide if I should bond the attach fittings and others or just bolt them.

Anyone out there with an idea?

Thanks
Gary

Can you clarify what parts you are referring to? I am not aware of anything that is "glue-able" unless you have a wood wing or something (skins, etc).

If you are considering using some type of adhesive then dont do it. I also am not aware of any "Glueing" recommended or otherwise for any of these wings. Furthermore it will probably not get approved. I know your experimental but it still needs an airworthiness cert.

Could you be more specific about glueing. I am, of course, assuming that you are talking about standard PA-18 wings and not wood wings of any sort

I don't see any problem with bonding as well as bolting the attach plates for the strut fittings and butt-hinge fittings. I dont' see any need to either.

On the other hand, it is absolutely a good idea to put a small blob of epoxy between the trailing edge coves and the aft ends of every rib to ensure the trailing edge cove doesn't creep forward and cause a wrinkle in the fabric after a few years.

I think the idea of bonding and pinning is a great one......but....

Personally, I would have a hard time bonding all of my parts to the spars such as strut and wing attach (butt fittings) just for the fact that if something does not fit, you are stuck with it (no pun intended). Being able to take this stuff apart does have its merits.

Tim

Maybe i am missing something but there is NO WAY I would Bond/Glue or otherwise adhere any wing attachment component. Its foolish. What are you saving? weight? big deal, go on a diet and save the wieght there.

Sorry to loose it but c'mon. Am I missing something? And don't lecture me on the Strengths of today's adhesives etc..... I know they are strong But they ain't a substitute for a bolt in this case.

I took it as he was bonding and bolting. Maybe as a means to assure no shift of the parts or maybe also to eliminate corrosion between the surfaces.

You're joking, Grant, right. :lol:

"...todays adhesives..." :D

I guess you could interpret it both ways. I took it to mean that he would only bolt or only glue. I still dont see any reason to do both. If you want to prevent corrosion the use the zinc chromate paste and wpie off what gets smushed out. Of course I was Joking about being lectured. :D But I was not Joking about it being foolish to use only a bonding method to secure any wing components. :eek:

glue or not to glue?

Thanks for all the replys so far

WHAT? Do you really think that I meant to just bond and not bolt such critical components
OF COURSE NOT!

What I was looking for is the wings have already been fitted in a jig to the fuselage everything is square and symetricle

What I was looking for is extra strength and corrosion protection at the expense of repair/replacement somewhere down the road

Mind you that D&E wing component are all aluminum and not WOOD!

We are talking 3M epoxy

So what do you guys think extra strength now or,ease of repair down the road later that is the question

Thanks
Gary

I wouldn't do any except where the trailing edge of a rib meets the rear cove skin.

Bonding the wing hardpoints wasn't necessary on my '46 PA-11 or '48 PA-14, or any of the -18's I've rebuilt.

Good primer under the mating surfaces is good enough in my opinion.

DAVE

WHAT? Do you really think that I meant to just bond and not bolt such critical components
OF COURSE NOT!

It wasn't too clear in you post and since you don't need to bond anything it made me concerned about your intentions.

Mind you that D&E wing component are all aluminum and not WOOD!

My concern exactly.

I dont think you should use any bonding material between any of the wing fittings. I dont think it would hurt, but it doesn't provide any extra strenth either. Please don't take my concern for your life as a bash on your Idea. I just wasnt sure of your idea and I just wanted to nip anything like that in the bud. :D

Whatever you decide to do we would like to see how they turn out. Post some photos.

I like the bonding idea. I bond as well as bolt, or rivet, most any dissimilar metal contact. I also prime everything. I do work exclusively on seaplanes where there's no such thing as too much corrosion prevention. Also, there's the added advantage of minimised fretting, should anything loosen up in those wings.

-sam

I'm no expert, but have built a couple of airframes. Here is my thought on bonding the fittings in the wing. What happens in the future when the wing needs repairs or recover? Let's say some ribs get damaged and you have to remove them to fix or replace. Going to be hard to slide them past those bonded fittings.

Back