• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tripacer Tubing Wall Thickness and Material

PA18project

Missoula MT
Does anyone know what the wall thickness is for the upper and lower longeron tubing for a 1953 tripacer? The OD for the longerons is .75 inch.
My guess is that its .035 but would like to order all the tubing I need before cutting into the fuselage.

Also, does anyone know the wall thickness for the .5 inch tubing which makes up the cross bracing for a 1953 tripacer.

As a final question, I know in 1953 Piper used some 4130 chromoly in the tripacer fuselage. Does anyone know whether the longerons and cross bracing were simply mild steel or 4130.

Thanks for your help!

If you get that Short Wing CD it has all the tubing sizes, wall thickness and material on it. The longerons are 4130 .75"x .035". Most all tubing is 4130 .035" wall in a Tri-Pacer except in the top deck and the gear/strut carry-thru. Be sure and put sleeves in the lower longerons at the tailpost. Not in the drawings but the Pacer and Clipper both had them but they weren't in the Tri-Pacer.

Thanks

Thanks steve. I have been dillatory about ordering the short wing CD. Need to try to do that today. Do you know if the short wing CD will give me the info for the sleves or will that be something I simply mic and have turned down? The fuselage is interesting on this bird to me. It appears to have a mount on the rear for the tail spring. I suspect its not all there or that it was for a skid but it looks to be positioned similar to the PA-20's I have seen. Either way I need to get the short wing CD and the set from cub club so I have enough reference material to do this project properly. Thanks again for your help.

Brad

Back