• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Arctic Tern

dabridgham

Claremont, NH
I'm thinking about restoring an Arctic Tern -150. Are there any suggestions or comments regarding this airplane that I should know about before spending a lot of time and cash on this project? Thanks.

dabridgham said:
I'm thinking about restoring an Arctic Tern -150. Are there any suggestions or comments regarding this airplane that I should know about before spending a lot of time and cash on this project? Thanks.

I think if you use the search function you'll turn up some discussion on this bird. I seem to recall some in the past.

Hi dabridgham,
Welcome aboard.... Irishfield is right...It has been discussed before. Be sure when searching the forum to search using the word AND. This will result in a more relavent result set. For example search for exactly this "Artic AND Tern" this will only bring back results that have both the word artic and tern. otherwise you will get any thread that includes the word artic or tern.

Good luck! Merry Christmas!

Oh yes, arctic AND tern works much better. Of course now I see that it says it right there on the search page. The word 'arctic' sure comes up a lot with this group. That's a good thing, I must be in the right place.

That gets alot of folks.... Glad you got it figured out.....Let us know what you find.

Hi dabridgham and Merry Christmas.I'm sure you are aware of the Interstate aircraft Co. in Lebanon NH.I don't know what is going to come of it since the tragic accident that took Bart Millers life.They know more about the plane than probably anyone else as they own the type cert.I don't what the status is at the company right now if they are going fwd with building the plane or not.I am sure Bart would have helped you as he was a real nice guy. Bill

Pardon my ignorance, but was Bart Miller the new owner of the Arctic Tern and what happened to him? This is news to me.

Bart Miller was killed recently when a piece of machinery that was being moved at the shop fell on him killing him instantly I was told.He bought the rights to the Tern and set out to improve it and re-certify.I believe he was very close to certification at the time of his death.He had a plane at Osh this year and spent some time with me going over it.Pretty impressive airplane.I was invited to go fly it at the factory in New Hampshire .The website is still up,Interstate Aircraft Co.I don't know where things will go from here. Bill

I wonder if Bill Diehl might be of some assistance (information, etc) in restoring an Arctic Tern. He sold the whole Arctic show to Bart Miller in 1999, but he was the one who bought the old Interstate Cadet (TC, etc ) from Call Aircraft in 1968 and started Arctic Aircraft in Anchorage, modifying and recertifying the Interstate S1B as the Arctic Tern S1B2 in 1975. There was a story about him and his 4-place (experimental) Privateer in the June 2003 Kitplanes.
Your location might make it convenient if you can get drawings, parts, etc from Miller's heir(s) in NH.

Rooster

Just googled up www.interstateaircraft.com -- pretty nice website for the Arctic Tern. Lists them for sale at $156,750 (160 horse/constant-speed), plus some options are available. Price seems reasonable for what you get, esp compared to CC and Husky.
Like Bill said, since Bart Miller is no longer around-- bummer-- future is unsure. I imagine that they probably didn't built them unless buyer was lined up, so I doubt that there's any sitting around ready to sell.

Rooster

redrooster said:
I wonder if Bill Diehl might be of some assistance (information, etc) in restoring an Arctic Tern. He sold the whole Arctic show to Bart Miller in 1999, but he was the one who bought the old Interstate Cadet (TC, etc ) from Call Aircraft in 1968 and started Arctic Aircraft in Anchorage, modifying and recertifying the Interstate S1B as the Arctic Tern S1B2 in 1975. There was a story about him and his 4-place (experimental) Privateer in the June 2003 Kitplanes.
Your location might make it convenient if you can get drawings, parts, etc from Miller's heir(s) in NH.

Rooster

Met Bill several years ago and got to go over his 4 place Turn. Super nice guy and a neat airplane.

arctic tern

I have a tern that I recently rebuilt and finding parts was definitely a problem. I think that the finished product was worth the effort, but it is not like a super cub where virtually anything you might need is available. You might want to contact me about possible sources of parts. My phone is 970-879-0385 (work) Rod Schrage[/img]

Back