• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 vs PA-18??

iamcamper

Hillsboro Oregon
Hi all,
I just signed up on this site, but have been searching it for a while now and learning new things about cubs for my hopefully upcoming project.
I am looking into building a Smith kit plane and am trying to decide if I should go with a wide body 18, or a PA-12. I know that the PA-12 has more room inside and cruises a little faster and that the 18 lands a little slower. The big question is how much of a difference is there between the 12’s and the 18’s performance numbers? Cruise, top speed, climb, ect. I rent a J-5, so I know what the PA-12 would feel like and I’ve ridden in a stock SC and didn’t find it too tight for my size (just don’t laugh when I’m climbing in or out). So, interior size isn’t really an issue. I’m leaning toward a wide-body 18 with L-21 windows, at least 160 hp with a thrust line mod, and 8.50 x 6 wheels. But I can build a PA-12 the same way, so it really boils down to the numbers. Can anyone share what they are getting out of their SC or PA-12?? And is there anyone around the Northwest Oregon area who has a wide-body 18 I might look at and maybe try on for size??
Thanks much.

I would be sure to do one thing before I bought a kit:

Put every single extra piece and part on paper and add it up. Then add 10% for the price increases during your build time. Then figue out what fair market value of an experimental cub is when you are all done.

Tim

Go with what you are leaning towards. The Widebody Smith 18 with L-21 windows will probably suit your needs best. I fly both airplanes often (160 hp PA-12 and a Widebody 18 with a 180). Both are good but the 18 is a happier airplane than the 12.

Brad

(I also recommend a stock wing vs the extended wing for overall use)

For power, you might want to consider an ECI O-340 or IO-340, for about 185 hp with less weight than an O-320.

Anyone wanna post finished empty weights for their Smith Experimentals?

I'm worried that they might be heavy, hopefully I'm wrong.

I'd go widebody-18 instead of -12, but that's just a personal opinion. Lots of other guys would go -12 instead.

Smith wieghts??

Thanks. DAVE

You're throwing your money away if you are building an "experimental" supercub. It's worth the extra effort to be "certified." Remember, certified pieces and parts are identical and cost virtually the same.

Brad,
but the 18 is a happier airplane than the 12
??????
My -12 is smiling back at me every time I have opened the hangar door for the last 31 yrs :D
Chris
PS: iamcamper, do a search of the site, lots of prev. discussion on the virtues of -18 vs -12. Biggest 2 differences are #1, Angle of Incidence of wing and #2, -12 are usually a little heavier on the empty weight.

Thanks for the input guys. From what I'm hearing, both here and else where, it sounds like the 18 is the way to go. So let me ask another question about the l-21 glass. Some have said go with it and others say to stay away from them. Heard about extra wieght, cracking and loose windows rattling. I kind of like the looks of them myself, but if they are to much trouble then maybe not. Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

Back