• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

OAT probe

JayH

NE Iowa
Greetings,
I'm looking for the best option for OAT. I'm building exp. and have a window mount probe. Is this the best option for the "keep it simple" principle. If so, where is the best location for it? I'm thinking upper left side triangle window. Or, are most of you using something different such as a remote sensor with panel mount guage? Pros, Cons of both? As usual - Thanks for the input.

Jay

Jay, I think that may be the best location. Just don't do what I did! I once mounted one in the windshield. Even though my fears never materialized, I cringed every time I watched a line boy head for the wing tanks. I just knew he would reach up and grab that neat little handle, sticking out of the windshield. Or drag a fuel hose over it, and crack my windshield. Bothered me until I moved it, and patched the hole I had drilled in the windshield. I am considering eliminating the OAT during my rebuild.

Hey Ron,
Thanks for the response. Is that eliminate the window probe or the OAT system completely?

Jay

When I bought my Becker AR4201, I chipped out a little more for the Temp probe 77 bucks, Bought the probe from Spruce, Tim at Wings and Wheels didn't have it in stock..
Does any one else have this, Currently I don't have an OAT. Was this a good way to go.. Thanks Matt

JayH said:
Hey Ron,
Thanks for the response. Is that eliminate the window probe or the OAT system completely?

Jay
Haven't decided for sure yet. Probably just get rid of it but I may mount it the way you described.

Jay - Ron,

Mine is in the top of the left fwd (triangle) window
and sits at the top while the air vent is at the bottom.
Works great. Highly visible from the front seat.

Why get rid of it altogether? When I'm two hours into a leg and
run out of games to play on the GPS it's always time to take out
the wheel and figger TAS and other OAT fun things. Plus, you
can hang your headset on the probe!

My RV's temp probe is highly inaccurate. A friend uses one of those infra red temp thingys that you just point at the wing/strut/tire and it reads the temp. it is about the size of a fountain pen and supposedly very accurate and costs $30.

OAT probe.

My Dynon OAT probe attaches to the wing root fairing, up on the top front part. Works well, and is relatively protected. This is on a Smith Kit Cub.

Mike

CptKelly,
I will probably be running the Dynon. If I remeber right, I think to run the OAT feature on that, you had to buy and install the whole remote compass module. I was not interested in the remote compass and would like to keep this a real SIMPLE, LIGHT plane. Less systems - less headache hopefully.

Ron,
Roger that. Thanks

Jay

Back